Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Question About Finding the True Owner of an Image  (Read 4209 times)

JLorimer

• View Profile
Question About Finding the True Owner of an Image
« on: December 01, 2013, 04:00:14 PM »
As part of my learning process, I have taken a semi-random image from a certain source.  (Note, I'm specifically being a little vague just for safety and anonymity).  I'm attempting to locate the original source for the image.  In a search I have found what appear to be multiple sources claiming ownership of the same image.  I'm wondering if there is any connection between these entities or how one might find the true owner of an image.  The image I am using has the following claims to ownership:

Clint Brewer, Splash News
Pedro Andrade/ KVS, Pacific Coast News
Corbis
BWP Media

What I'm wondering is, are there connections to any of these?  For example, I have seen that BWP often represents PCN - but are they the same?  Can BWP claim ownership of PCN images?  Is Splash News related to PCN or BWP?  Can Clint Brewer and Pedro Andrade both rightfully claim copyright to the image in question?  This information is gleaned from websites, photo credits, and the image metadata itself.  Some people here seem quite knowledgeable about these sorts of connections.  I did some searching here and on google and I am still confused.

JLorimer

• View Profile
Re: Question About Finding the True Owner of an Image
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 02:53:31 AM »
After several hours and a lot more digging, I think I answered my own question.  It seems that extremely similar images, but not exact, from the same set are registered to both Clint Brewer/Splash News and PCN.  How the set is split is a mystery to me but that seems to be the case.

Moe Hacken

• We have not yet begun to hack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 02:19:08 PM »
It may be that the photographers shot virtually the same image at a public event, and of course each photographer owns the copyright for their work even if it's almost a perfect match.

As an example, consider the camera pits in a baseball game, usually located near first and third base. There's always a bunch of photographers shooting the same events from virtually the same angle. They usually shoot hundreds of pictures each game, and baseball being how it is, you'll end up with the same "money shots" from the game's highlights shot by a dozen different people, all working for different entities.

One of those entities, by the way, is Getty Images. They appear to have some kind of corporate partnership with Major League Baseball so many of the MLB images you see on the mainstream media are attributed both to the photographer and to Getty Images.

Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and copyright trolls.
I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees

Peeved

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and copyright trolls.

Gotta love American traditions!
 8)

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 04:00:23 PM »
well look who just appeared from a long absense!! where you been hiding Moe, under a bridge? ( kidding)
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 08:45:12 PM »
Good to see you back Moe!  :D
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 08:14:35 PM »
Gotta go to Moe!

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.