Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: ELI Copyright Extortionists Chart  (Read 7131 times)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
ELI Copyright Extortionists Chart
« on: September 15, 2012, 09:56:04 AM »
At long last, I have created the first version of a chart that has been floating in my head for months. Because ELI has gone far beyond its roots of dealing with Getty Images Extortion Letters, it was time to create a simple chart for newcomers to follow. Even us long-timers find it challenging to mentally keep track of all the players that ELI now deals with.  There seems to be more players entering our radar every month.

This chart will be updated and tweaked frequently as new information comes in. Enjoy.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/105997312/ELI-Copyright-Extortionists-Chart
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 09:58:55 AM by Matthew Chan »
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Mulligan

• View Profile
Re: ELI Copyright Extortionists Chart
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 10:43:12 AM »
Marvelous map, Matt.

Quick Saturday Morning Rant:

I expect to see this map of greedy bastards grow exponentially in the next twelve months.

I contend that we're just seeing the tip of the copyright trolling business model at this point. Given the number of people (lawyers as well as business owners who'll do just about anything to make easy money), I expect us to see trolling get worse before it gets better.

Additionally, I'm not at all confident about politicians and our legal system catching up by legislating digital age copyright laws that are fair to content creators as well as content providers.

I'm just glad ELI is here to educate those who are going to get letters from all the ugly trolls out there and that some of those who get the letters will have the cajones and ovaries to stand up to the various payment extract schemes we going to see.

Peeved

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 12:31:13 PM »
I'm just glad ELI is here to educate those who are going to get letters from all the ugly trolls out there and that some of those who get the letters will have the cajones and ovaries to stand up to the various payment extract schemes we going to see.

And here you wanted us to think you were "chauvinistic". Thanks for including us "ovaries" Mulligan!
 ;)

Mulligan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 01:45:44 PM »
Peeved, I was thinking of you!  :)

Actually, I probably should have written cajones or ovaries rather than what I did write, which is a physical impossibility, at least in most instances.

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 11:49:11 PM »
Nice job Matt.  Maybe a board game is next in development! "Trollopoly?"

Moe Hacken

• We have not yet begun to hack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 07:02:06 PM »
Matt, I love the chart. That's a very nice, clean and professional infographic. It will be interesting to watch it grow. Maybe we can have an animation showing how this thing grows tentacles over time.

Oscar, that's a pretty funny concept. It seems that so far the trolls all have "Get out of jail free" cards. For now.

Mulligan, I totally agree with you. Just wanted to mention it's spelled "cojones". "Cajones" is Spanish for "drawers," as in the drawers of a desk. "Cajones" can also mean "boxes" or "crates."

In any case, who cares about the spelling? It's the thought that counts!  8)
I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 01:21:42 AM »
Happy to hear the good reactions on the ELI CE Chart.

Here is another teaser, if all of you liked the ELI CE Chart. There are yet other interesting ELI charts rattling around in my head looking to be released. Stay tuned.

Remember, all the ELI charts I release will be "hosted" on Scribd so people can "embed" the chart.  Whenever, I update a chart, anyone who posts an "embedded" version will automatically receive an update.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Mulligan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 09:46:45 AM »
Matt, I love the chart. That's a very nice, clean and professional infographic. It will be interesting to watch it grow. Maybe we can have an animation showing how this thing grows tentacles over time.

Oscar, that's a pretty funny concept. It seems that so far the trolls all have "Get out of jail free" cards. For now.

Mulligan, I totally agree with you. Just wanted to mention it's spelled "cojones". "Cajones" is Spanish for "drawers," as in the drawers of a desk. "Cajones" can also mean "boxes" or "crates."

In any case, who cares about the spelling? It's the thought that counts!  8)

Moe, I had no idea that "cajones" was properly spelled as "cojones." Thanks for setting me straight on that one. I'll definitely be more on the ball the next time I write out that word.

One of the "cajones" definitions made me think of a joke I heard from my young grandson recently...

Question: What's the dirtiest thing in the house?

Answer: A dresser that's never changed its drawers.

We both got a good laugh out of that one. (Yes, you're right, it doesn't take much to amuse me.)

Finally, if I had a vulgar streak in me, I'd write a few words about how I'll let Peeved comment on the "boxes" definition of "cajones," but thank God I lack that streak.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 10:24:00 AM »

Finally, if I had a vulgar streak in me, I'd write a few words about how I'll let Peeved comment on the "boxes" definition of "cajones," but thank God I lack that streak.

When I read this yesterday I immediately thought of the "box" reference...you see I appear to have that streak!
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Peeved

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 03:04:14 PM »

Mulligan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 03:10:20 PM »
Peeved, a classic contribution. Thank you!

Moe Hacken

• We have not yet begun to hack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 07:02:40 PM »
Good one, Peeved! We men should try to think outside the cajones more often.
I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 07:19:57 PM »
You crack me up peeved ;D
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.