Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Re: Has anyone been to court  (Read 5712 times)

mrl72

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone been to court
« on: July 21, 2008, 05:17:21 PM »
Hi Oscar -

First of all thanks for your willing to help others with this matter. Like others here and on the www I received a letter from Getty for $1000 demand ($900 if I pay within 7 days) for a single image that was part of a template we purchased over a year ago. I own a small company here in the US, Florida, and it is registered as an Scorp for tax purposes. Our company is in the "startup" phase and has yet to make a profit. I'd like to know what the options here for dealing with this. I have yet to reply to Getty's outrageous demand but I have taken the image down. My only concern is that since my company is corporated they may take the matter further than say a small business or individual.

Any advice appreciated!

Thank you.

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 04:54:30 PM »
Dear MRL 72:

We have been drafting a strong but courteous response to Getty on behalf of our clients at a minimal cost just so the demand letter does not go unanswered. We are trying to take a proactive position on this site to get the best resolution possible which in some cases may be litigating the matter and in other cases, settling the matter. I also recommend that you take down the images (in an exercise of caution and not as an admission of liability) as soon as you receive the letter and replace them with stock photos. Then we send a letter asking Getty for proof of ownership or license of the image while we review their settlement demand.  The monetary demands bear no relation to the cost of the license for a photo so sometimes in the letter we may also ask them for proof of damages,etc. In any event, please feel free to contact me at my toll free number 1-800-640-2000 for a free consultation if you would like to chat about this further.  Thanks for the post.

motoxxx

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 08:50:17 PM »
Left a message with your message service. Hope to hear back from you very soon. My deadline to respond to Getty is tomorrow.  I could use some help here.

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 05:45:58 PM »
Letter has gone out.  Will keep you posted

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.