Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Received a letter, stressed  (Read 7223 times)

als

• View Profile
Received a letter, stressed
« on: April 04, 2012, 08:35:50 AM »
Hello there - so relieved to find this forum.  I am a freelance designer and stay at home mom, currently pregnant with #2.  Yesterday I received this letter, the screenshot they are showing is my site's old design and the page is for an old client mock-up from early 2009 that never went live.  Of course I simply removed the page and all associated files, it was just an oversite that it was still there after 3 years. The image in question is one from a free background images site and I can find the image repeatedly still from these sources.  I just don't understand how a company can get away with this type of letter with no warning. I was reading about the letter program and the idea of just not having to deal with them sounds nice - but what has the end outcome been for most?  I read though everything for hours last night and cannot decide which direction to go. 

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: Received a letter, stressed
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 08:59:44 AM »
You basically have 3 main choices..

1. Settle with them and it will be over with.
2. Handle it your self and wait out the 3 years statute
3. Hire Oscar and wait out the statute

No one on here will advise you to take option #1, the image just isn't worth that much, no matter what Getty tells you.

There are plenty here that opt for option #2, if you have the stomach to deal with it, as you will go thru the typical cycle.

The positive side to Oscar's letter is they can no longer contact you, everything must go thru his office.

Have you seen this image for sale on any other sites? or just "free" sites", if it is sold elsewhere, this helps your case dramatically. I assuming this letter was from Getty Images? or is it from some other company?
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Lettered

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 11:23:41 AM »
There are no guarantees, but I really don't think you have much to worry about.   My case involved a single image.  I hired Oscar to write a letter and I never heard anything from them again.  It has been well over three years for me since I got the letter so I consider the matter closed since the three year statute of limitations has passed.

Peeved

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
I think that budd sums it up very nicely:

No one on here will advise you to take option #1, the image just isn't worth that much, no matter what Getty tells you.

There are plenty here that opt for option #2, if you have the stomach to deal with it, as you will go thru the typical cycle.

The positive side to Oscar's letter is they can no longer contact you, everything must go thru his office.

Also assuming that you are dealing with Getty:

I totally agree with NOT opting for Number 1! For more "peace of mind", I completely agree with option 3. For those who choose option number 2, yes you must know what you will be dealing with should you choose this option. You will be dealing with CONTINUOUS letters and threats from Getty, McCormack, and possibly NCS Collection Agency. You will undoubtedly be dealing with a threatening INCREASE in demand price as well should you choose this option. It can be a tough road for some. Just know that the bulk of information on these forums are extremely helpful for those choosing this option.

Since you are pregnant with number 2 on the way, option 3 may be your best choice. It's all up to the individual however.

Wishing you the best.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 08:00:18 PM by Peeved »

als

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 09:43:13 PM »
Thank you all so much for your input. I have just scanned in my letter and sent off my request for the Getty Defense Letter Program.  I think given my present circumstances this is definitely the best option for me.

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 11:54:17 AM »
Look forward to helping you with it!

doggycase

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 10:23:59 AM »

Have you seen this image for sale on any other sites? or just "free" sites", if it is sold elsewhere, this helps your case dramatically. I assuming this letter was from Getty Images? or is it from some other company?

I had a question about the statute of limitations for those who received Getty letters. Since the maximum is only three years, how would I know the exact date that they discovered the image? From the first Getty letter they send to me? The settlement demand date of my letter was March 29, 2012. Is this the date should the statute period starts?

I can't afford to hire Oscar right now, but I do have plans once I had enough money to prepare for this. For the meantime, I'm on Option #2.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 10:28:42 AM »
@doggycase, the statute of limitations can generally be "guessed" by the first date of the first letter, granted they found the image before they sent the letter, so this is a safe bet.. Now the Phillipines may be a different story, it may not be 3 years there, and I don't think the Defense Letter Program, would apply to you being your overseas..you need to research the copyright law of your country first and foremost and go from there.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 11:31:35 AM »
doggycase--
Also, bear in mind that's the statute of limitations in the US. I think you said you were in the Phillipines; if so, you need to check law in the Phillipines.

timjefferson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 11:32:41 AM »
What usually happens after the first defense letter from Oscar is sent out to Getty?

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 11:47:27 AM »
sit back and wait, sometimes getty may contact Oscar, sometimes not, each case is different. If something develops your attorney would contact you. Once Oscar sends the letter no one from Getty or associated with Getty can contact you.

What usually happens after the first defense letter from Oscar is sent out to Getty?

Robert Krausankas

loserboy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 08:31:09 PM »
This is VERY similar to my wife's situation.

You can see what happened here: http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/getty-images-letter-forum/getty-imagesmemorial-day-welcome-home-surprise/

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.