Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Recent Masterfile Federal Case Vindicates Our Position! A MUST READ  (Read 13092 times)

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
So - Just wanted to update everyone about a recent Federal case in a suit filed by Masterfile that at first seems like a legal victory for Masterfile (since they were awarded nearly $6,000 in damages) but which in fact vindicates the position we have been espousing on this website.  This may get a little wordy and legalistic, but stick with it as it is important for those who are facing claims brought by Masterfile and Getty and others.

Facts of the Case

The case is called Masterfile Corporation v. Country Cycling & Hiking Tours By Brooks, Inc. (even the title is wordy). From now on in this post I will refer to Masterfile as "MF" and the Defendant as "CC" MF sued CC, a small bike touring business for having four MF images on its website without authorization. The images were on CC's website for over 3 years (which is the statute of limitations period under the Act anyway)  CC got the usual letter demanding huge amounts including a warning that the infringer faced up to $150,000 in statutory penalties since MF had registered the images with the US Copyright Office. CC immediately removed the images from its website. Apparently the parties tried to settle pre-litigation, but they were too far apart.  MF would not go below $5,880 and CC offered only "a nominal sum."  So Masterfile filed a Federal Copyright Infringement claim in the Southern District of New York.  

CC did not hire a lawyer, nor did it contest the lawsuit. MF entered what is called a default judgment, meaning they win automatically on this issue of liability (fault); however, you still have to prove your damages at a hearing, called an inquest. CC only sent in a letter explaining their circumstances (which will be discussed later). While this was not proper under the Federal Rules, the court accepted it since CC was pro se (unrepresented by counsel). MF filed affidavits and other documents seeking $5,600 in statutory damages per image.  Not far from what it usually seeks in its demand letters, by the way.  Let's analyze the court's decision written by Magistrate Judge Frank Maas.  

Statutory Damages        

The court conducted an analysis of MF's claim for statutory damages. Let me first remind everyone that one only gets these damages if the image was registered with the copyright office.  While the court acknowledged that the Act allows up to  $150,000 it quickly pointed out that the court has "broad discretion" in awarding these damages and that "Ultimately, the statutory damages should bear some relation to actual damages suffered." The court noted that MF admitted that its licensing fee for the images would have been $1,120.00 per year per image. It also pointed out that even in statutory damages cases, one factor the court shold consider is the defendant's "individual culpability" in the infringement. This is our first area of vindication since we have been arguing with MF and Getty ("G") that even though innocence is not a defense to infringement, courts will look at the defendant's culpability in assessing damages.  MF and G refused to acknowledge this position - one point for our side!  

The Court then went on to state that "There are several problems with MF's proposed statutory damages."  

First problem: Since MF registered all four images at the same time in one compilation (as they always do - they never individually register images) this counts as ONE INFRINGEMENT!! The Court cited the "unambiguous language" of the Act  which states that a compilation that contains separate and independent works of art counts as one work for infringement purposes.  Another point for our side!! We have been trying to get MF to concede  this point for nearly a year now and they have refused to acknowledge it essentially talking in double-speak and and claims of it being "a gray area."  Well if it was gray before (it wasn't) it ain't gray now.  To quote Judge Maas: "Therefore for purpose of calculating statutory damages, [CC] infringed only one work."

Second problem: CC used a professional web designer. The court stated that since CC did so, "it had no knowledge it was using copyrighted material." The court also noted that CC immediately removed the images from its website once it became aware of the issue. Judge Maas said that these two factors suggest "that any damages awarded should be at the low end of the spectrum."  Another HUGE point for our side!!! (Notice that I add one exclamation point for each point in our favor as we go along so we can keep track) This really is very important for a number of reasons. We have always advised folks to immediately remove the images and that this will be looked on favorably by courts. Nearly all of our MF and G clients employed web designers or template companies to get their images for them and design their sites. The image companies have argued that this did not make them "innocent infringers" since they would still be liable for their "agents" acts. When I pointed out that these are not agents, but independent contractors who were paid for their services I was told that this made no difference. Oh well, now we know that it does.          

Third Problem: The court found that CC is a small company with gross revenues of about $16,400 per year and that almost none of its business comes through its website. In fact, all of its income comes from three law firms that book cycling programs. (That apparently none of these firms were willing to help CC out with a little bit of free legal advice or representation is unfortunate, but anyway I digress).  The court then stated that had CC known what the licensing fee was "it is highly unlikely that it would have spent $1,120 per year for a license, rather than looking to the public domain for artwork."  This is another significant point for our side!!!!  OK let me explain why this is so important to our position on G cases especially - All the images companies argue that their licensing scheme should be the basis for an "actual damages claim"  My position has been that this is just the starting point because it was a 2001 case called Davis v. The Gap which established the notion that a plaintiff could get a "retroactive license fee" as "actual damages" but in that case the court also said that crafting too large a retroactive fee would not be correct since the infringer would not have likely paid that amount. So we have been arguing with G especially that this part of the Davis case envisions a negotiation between the plaintiff and defendant meaning that a court will look at the fee to see if the infringer would have paid that in the market place or gone elsewhere. This new MF case says exactly that!!  

Fourth Problem:  CC does not need to be deterred. The court noted that given the circumstances of this case (which by the way are nearly identical to the circumstances of all other cases) a high award is not necessary to deter CC from infringing anew nor is it necessary to further the goal of general deterrence of others.  We have directly made this argument almost verbatim to the image companies and sometimes they have nearly laughed back at me asking "How could you say this would not have value as general deterrence" (only a lawyer could chuckle as they uttered that sentence by the way).  Now they know how I can say it - cause a Federal Court just did!  To quote the Harry Potter book series: One point for Gryffindor!!!!!

The court awarded $1,120.00 in statutory damages to MF because (1) CC was unaware it had infringed (2) It infringed only one work since  all the images came from one compilation (3) It acted appropriately once it learned of the problem.

Wow - a Federal lawsuit over a $1,120.00 claim. I think had I represented CC I could have gotten this down even further by arguing to the court that MF's licensing scheme should just be the starting point and that the fair market value of a stock image is what should apply. Also, while the court briefly mentions the section in the Act that allows a court to reduce damages in cases of innocent infringement there is no discussion of applying it to this case even though the court found CC was an innocent infringer.

Legal Fees

The court then went on discuss legal fees.  It is this exposure to potential legal fees that makes me strongly encourage my MF clients to reach a settlement with them.  But even this section was good for our side.  The court noted that an award of legal fees is "generally awarded to a  prevailing plaintiff" in a copyright infringement case involving registered works (you can't get it in cases involving works that were not registered at the time of the infringement). The court also noted that MF should get legal fees because it had to file suit since CC only offered a "nominal sum" prior to litigation. Well - this is really good for us! Presumably if CC had offered something at or over the $1,120.00 MF ended up winning, then suit may not have been reasonable and fees would have been unjustified. We routinely advise offering more than $300 per image on MF claims so that had we represented CC we would have come in at  or over the $1120 and likely avoided having any legal fees awarded. Another point!!!!!!    

The court conducted an analysis of the the time spent and costs incurred and awarded $4,860.00  So MF's lawyers made over 4 times what MF did by bringing this case.  You think this is going to be encouraging to MF?  I hope they read this case carefully and be guided accordingly

Permanent Injunction

The court went on to address MF's request for a permanent injunction - a court order stopping CC from ever infringing MF's copyrights again.  This should be a ground ball for MF right?  WRONG! The court denied this routine request as CC's owners are semi-retired and immediately removed the images so that it is not likely that they would ever infringe in the future.

Conclusion    

This case clearly establishes that our position is correct on so many key points from innocent infringement to value of damages to how courts will look upon small businesses caught in this trap. I only regret CC had not come to my firm first as we may have been able to reduce this judgment even further. In any event, I sincerely hope that the various image companies take this decision to heart and begin to realize that coming closer to our side of these issues will save them time and effort and that litigation (and therefore the threat of litigation) may not get them the great results they seek!

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: Recent Masterfile Federal Case Vindicates Our Position! A MUST READ
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 01:55:30 AM »
As a follow-up to Oscar' excellent analysis, I have paid for and secured copies of nearly all the documents filed with the court.

While it may be intensive reading for some people, I believe it is important that this information is freely available.  I am not a believer of speculation and hearsay by amateurs (certainly not Oscar here).  I am a big believer of going to the source when possible.  And so, the source will be shown to all which should give both Getty Images, Masterfile, and other similar companies some pause before they actually decide to go forward with their threats.

There are very interesting documents that I believe worth reading that lead up to the final judgment.

Some good stuff are coming.  I will be revealing what the actual copyright registrations look like, the invoice for attorney's fees, the agreements between the photographers and Masterfile, report/recommendations, and the judge's final ruling.

The court documents have now been posted in our Talking Points section of our website!  It is great reading!
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

davep42

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 05:53:38 AM »
Great news Oscar!

Of course the victim of this lawsuit probably spend another $5-10K worth of time and worry on this (probably more), so the KEY to keeping legal and worry costs down would seem to be in the quality of ones legal representation.  

I personally just ignored the collection calls from Getty for one image (done many years ago from one long gone graphics designer "gypsy") but I would not hesitate to use Oscar if the heat gets turned up.  As a web designer, I have some fear that work myself (or through one of my graphic designers) did 10  to 15 years ago might have used a copyrighted image that so freely bobbed alone the surf of the internet - and that I will suddenly get an angry call from a normally happy client (and yes some really old site designs are still out there!).  And of course, for a number of years now, I have been purchasing EVERY image for my clients, or using theirs (with a warning to them about their source), their own originals, or (thanks to this site) I now look on the government websites for non-copyrighted images.

I have also donated to this site as your words and that of the Admin have given me the confidence to continue to resist what most agree is an attempt at extortion. One only hopes these predatory threats from Getty and MS eventually get beaten down by the AG's or congress here in the US.

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »
thanks

Lettered

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 10:00:46 AM »
The ruling seemed to contradict itself in one area to me. MF asked for $22,000+ .. Brook countered $1,000 ... the court awarded $1,120.  THe court then said it was reasonable for MF to ask for atty fees because Brook "declined to settle for anything greater than the nominal amount".  Brook's "nominal amount" was within $200 of what the court gave anyway.  Did the court see this as a significant gap? If Brook had offered $1121 would the court have disallowed atty fees?

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 04:52:16 PM »
I did lettered, and was going to comment on it but  it got lost in my haste in discussing the case. And while I applaud Brooks for doing pretty well as a pro se defendant, had they been represented, I think the point you make would have been better expressed to the court. $1,000 is not a nominal sum especially when MF ended up with just an additional $121. If anything MF should have had to pay at least court fees for wasting the court's time over an additional $121. In court, if this issue ever arises again and when citing this case, this discrepancy should be brought out. Great job Lettered in bringing this up.

mumu

It seems to me that it is still left an an unfair state. On one hand the court has stated its opinion that MF is being extortion-like in their practices. Then turns around and awards them money anyway which encourages them to continue the same practices, but now with the added power of a court decision behind them. These images are not being used directly for profit. If such were the case, as in a say a website who sells images to webmasters, then I can understand. The real world equivelant of this situation is as if someone steals my computer, someone steals it from them or maybe finds it after it was lost. Sells it to an end user who believes he is directly buying someone's laptop, then the court fines that final guy and everyone else gets scott free and or profits from the sceanrio, including the lawyers and the courts. How is that fair?

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
Will answer you next week, as a NEW important Federal case came down and I don't have time to tell the tale!

Lettered

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 07:24:46 PM »
Hi Oscar,

Would love to hear about the new case you mentioned above.

Thanks!

Barry Mid

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 03:23:48 PM »
Hi Oscar - Very interesting and informative. I have recently been victimized by Masterfile as well. One difference is that I am in Canada and the suit is beening brought up in Federal Court in Toronto. M.F. as well is seeking  $2,000.00 on each image. The Federal Courts here are a bit different then the US but I still need to seek legal representation.  Do you know of a solicitor in Ontario who could assist?

Barry Middler

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 04:07:08 PM »
Dear Barry:  Unfortunately we have not been able to find a Canadian lawyer to work with us on this issue though we have tried many times.  I don't know if they are afraid of masterfile or if they are not willing to reduce their fees to help folks out.  Wish I could be of more assistance but i can't practice law in Canada and I don't know anyone to refer you to.  Good Luck and keep us posted.

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 11:00:36 PM »
Oscar,

Quite frankly, very few people including U.S. attorneys understand the situation. Or if they do, they are not inclined to assist or challenge the issue. They are tied in to the hourly rate thing and limited written interpretation. They do not have your progressive attitude and do not know how to create leverage and efficiencies as you have for the defense process.

Fortunately, most of our community members are grateful and thankful for the fact you have made your presence known and your ongoing contributions here.

Having traveled outside the U.S., many find the American attitude of standing up and "fighting the system" a distasteful and scary proposition.  Authority is to be followed, not challenged and certainly not in an open and public manner as we do.

Anyhow, that is why after 2 years of helping defend people, you continue to be the "lone legal champion and warrior" on behalf of this community.

I salute you.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 01:27:32 AM »
Hey Barry,

You might consider contacting a fellow by the name of David Fewer.  He's an intellectual property and technology lawyer, and is Director of CIPPIC (Canadian Internet Policy and Public Interest Clinic) - http://www.cippic.ca/en/

You can contact Mr Fewer at:
Tel.: 613-562-5800 x.2558
Email: dfewer@uottawa.ca

I'm not affiliated with the CIPPIC, nor do I know Mr Fewer, but it's worth a try.

MF is quite aggressive of late, and their modus operandi is clearly to squeeze as much money as possible out of their prey without having to actually go to court - that way it's mostly 'gravy'.  They'll try to drive you nuts until you settle, and if that doesn't work, they are betting that court will seem too expensive and make you settle that way.  If you search the court dockets, you'll see that in almost every case wherein MF has filed court papers, they later issued a "Discontinuance", meaning that the matter was settled without going to court.  In these cases, "court" was either a MF bluff and they backed off, or the respondent paid a settlement that MF felt was satisfactory.

Check out the dockets at the link below.  Just type in "Masterfile" in the "Party Name" section and click "Search"

http://cas-ncr-nter03.cas-satj.gc.ca/IndexingQueries/infp_queries_e.php

You may be interested to know that Masterfile lost a large Canadian lawsuit in 2001 over 149 images.  Interestingly, the defendants admitted that they used the images without license, and won anyway.  The defendants used the law firm "Fasken Martineau".

Case:

http://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/en/2001/2001fct1416/2001fct1416.html

Decision:

http://recueil.fja-cmf.gc.ca/eng/2001/2001fct1416/2001fct1416.html

It's unfortunate that many have become so litigious.  The recent recession appears to have made some companies and/or individuals rather desperate, and they're using the courts (or the threat of court action) as a revenue stream.  Maybe it's just greed, or a bit of both.  A lot of companies / people have been sucked into the stock image / art trap of late and that's because many don't realize that the old, mostly 'polite' dealings of the Internet are as dead as the Dodo.  At one time, you'd just be notified to take the offending images / copy down.  But now, they may actually be hoping that their product will be misused inadvertently or otherwise.  They're making some serious money on this in some cases.

Good Luck, and let us know how it goes....

S

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Great Masterfile reference for Canadian letter recipients
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 02:00:43 AM »
SoylentGreen,

I must say that I am impressed with the information you have contributed here on behalf of our Canadian readers. It is nice to be able to reference and learn from past Masterfile cases in Canada.

Thank you on behalf of our community.

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 12:34:51 PM »
Read about  a new case on the new topic I just posted on this forum that is also a big win for our side.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.