Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Recieved a demand letter today.. What do you think of my response?  (Read 22192 times)

lucia

• View Profile
Re: Recieved a demand letter today.. What do you think of my response?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 02:52:07 PM »
Yep. I saw my site crash repeatedly right around the time I write my second letter.

http://rankexploits.com/musings/2011/bezeqint-net-is-this-an-attack/
I now block java agents. I block besquint. I moderate Israel at Cloudflare.

Moe Hacken

• We have not yet begun to hack
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 08:40:03 PM »
They can't break into your house in the middle of the night with a swat team, to search your house for images, right?
So why can they do that to my server, my life & my business at any cost?

anakin, this is what I've been saying for some time.

I strongly believe PicScout's "evidence" should be invalid in a court of law unless they have a proper search warrant. I think their rude search without probable cause violates our Fourth Amendment rights, the text of which states:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.[1]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

I believe this is particularly true when they ignore the robots.txt file and crawl directories they are asked not to crawl, and when they crawl under the guise of a falsified user-agent, which is always. This shows bad faith on their part.

There is also the issue of the damage they do to the web server administrator by hogging their bandwidth mercilessly and distorting the web server statistics by pretending to be a human visitor. When you have a low-traffic website, those "visits" can make a big difference in the statistics you may be tracking for SEO purposes, thus leading you to possibly make incorrect decisions about your SEO strategy.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 06:36:31 PM by Moe Hacken »
I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 10:35:29 AM »
Good point Moe.  I wonder if any of the legal eagles out there can comment on the notion of a class action suit against Getty or picscout for illegal search, theft of bandwidth, etc.  I am fairly certain they don't have search warrants for what their bots are doing.

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 10:46:52 AM »
There has been tons of prior discussion in this regard.
Search for "trespass to chattels", etc.

S.G.

Moe Hacken

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 12:59:50 PM »
Yes, S.G., let's bring that up again for discussion because the topic was discussed at length but not exactly resolved:

http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/getty-images-letter-forum/is-picscout-legal-cyber-trespass/

Oscar makes mention of how Corbis would have let a claim go that the photographer insisted on because they would rather not risk creating "bad law" for themselves.

If a precedent is set that makes PicScout evidence inadmissible without a proper search warrant, the gill netting game is over and PicScout will be sold as penny stock because they won't be of any more use to the trolls than a team of monkeys searching the web for infringements manually.

Of course a legal challenge of PicScout on constitutional grounds would require a heroic legal effort. It ain't going to happen by itself, nor is anyone "in charge" going to do it for the consumer. The initiative has to be taken by the victims or potential victims. A lot of consumer protection law has had to be hammered into place this way, and unfortunately there are numerous victims of tort abuse or industrial negligence before any sensible regulation happens.

That fact that PicScout is "legal" at this time is not carved in stone. I think it can be challenged, but then again, I went to art school so those who went to law school can educate me about it. I can handle the truth.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 01:39:30 PM by Moe Hacken »

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 01:34:27 PM »
I'd participate in the discussion, except that I don't want to type in all the same stuff again.

S.G.

Moe Hacken

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 01:42:33 PM »
Your comments are useful in any case, S.G.

I'm looking through the old posts regarding the PicScout question to bring myself up to date. I'm fishing for new ideas on an old topic because that's a key element in the trolling game.

Sorry if it causes veteran fatigue for some of you, please bear with us uninitiated folks in the lower ranks.

Moe Hacken

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2012, 03:30:09 PM »
Dude, you're an indexing machine! Thanks for the links, S.G.!

Moe Hacken

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2012, 06:21:13 PM »
Here's an interesting approach ... a legal "no trespassing" notice specifically aimed at PicScout:

http://dcdirectactionnews.wordpress.com/legal-notice-to-getty-images-scanning-robot-picscout-is-not-authorized-to-access-this-site/

Forget robots.txt, how about HeyPicScoutGetYourFaceOuttaMyServer.txt ... I wonder what weight this would have in a court of law.

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 09:05:22 AM »
I wonder what Oscar's legal opinion on that approach is?

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 10:12:46 AM »
Everybody needs to remember 2 things here:
1. Picscout operates out of Israel, hence they don't play by US rules
2. Picscout scans for imges and would never "read" any disclaimer

Unless your hoping to get business from Israel, it's easiest to just block israel altogether at the server level, if you can't do this yourself, your web-host should be able to do it for you..Albeit you may have to get a dedicated IP.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 10:28:15 AM »
I get the fact that picscout doesn't play by our rules, but I would think that if Getty came across infringement information illegally, that information would not be presentable as evidence in court?  Or am I just watching too many legal TV shows?

On the other hand, if Getty isn't going to sue, but just harass someone, their job begins when they come across the illegally obtained information.  I guess that is bhuddaPi's point.

Couch_Potato

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 10:40:27 AM »
Everybody needs to remember 2 things here:
1. Picscout operates out of Israel, hence they don't play by US rules
2. Picscout scans for imges and would never "read" any disclaimer

Unless your hoping to get business from Israel, it's easiest to just block israel altogether at the server level, if you can't do this yourself, your web-host should be able to do it for you..Albeit you may have to get a dedicated IP.

That's assuming Picscout doesn't operate through proxy servers as well.

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 11:04:15 AM »
My opinion is that Getty/Picscout would have to obey U.S. laws.
Otherwise, any information gained by Picscout would be useless in U.S. courts, regardless of what country the data was gleaned from.
Remember, if they're coming after you in the U.S., we are talking about U.S. laws, not Israeli laws.

The only action that would be illegal in regard to a bot like Picscout would be defeating passwords/ breaking into servers.
That would be "criminal".  I don't think that they're doing that.

Fighting Getty by using the argument that Picscout is operating illegally would be the most arduous, expensive legal battle you could imagine.
Because many millions of dollars in revenue would be at stake for Getty.  I doubt that anyone could pull it off.

But, like I said, it's been discussed before.  Getty's most easily defeated on legal standing.

S.G.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.