Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Schneider Rothman IP Law v. Getty Images & Zemanta Lawsuit  (Read 20040 times)

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: Schneider Rothman IP Law v. Getty Images & Zemanta Lawsuit
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2014, 06:15:04 PM »
Oscar / Joel are free to use my case as another example, my 3 yrs is long gone, but as many of you know I purchased the images in question in good faith, showed Getty the license, but could not produce the receipt after more than 10 yrs.. But they still hounded me and also accused me of "creating" said license myself..all within 15 minutes of opening the Getty Images extortion letter. Oscar probably still has my documentation on file somewhere, if not i still have it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 04:38:38 AM by Matthew Chan »
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Joel Rothman

• Board Certified IP Attorney
    • View Profile
    • SRIPLAW
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 09:05:42 PM »
New development.  Getty's attorneys have made an appearance.  This is the firm: http://woodbury-santiago.com/ 

Robert Santiago, the attorney who filed the notice of appearance, was involved in a long running copyright infringement case that is somewhat famous (and infamous) in Florida involving a yacht multiple listing service.  Here are some decisions from that saga: http://dockets.justia.com/docket/florida/flsdce/0:2002cv60772/9482/

I don't know Mr. Santiago.  I have never heard of his firm before.  We will see what transpires.

Joel Rothman

• View Profile
    • SRIPLAW

lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 08:05:23 AM »

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 09:23:59 AM »
It would appear that Woodbury-Santiago are experts in Internet stealth marketing. What a terrible and atrocious website.  Did they have their website developed in the late 1990's?  And what about those hokey sound effects?

I guess Getty did a good job hiring them because those lawyers have done a good job hiding themselves online. They must have more business than they need because NO ONE would every sign up with them based on what little you can find.

They have to be reasonably good lawyers because they are clearly bad in cyberspace and would not likely get much business via Internet contacts.

New development.  Getty's attorneys have made an appearance.  This is the firm: http://woodbury-santiago.com/ 

Robert Santiago, the attorney who filed the notice of appearance, was involved in a long running copyright infringement case that is somewhat famous (and infamous) in Florida involving a yacht multiple listing service.  Here are some decisions from that saga: http://dockets.justia.com/docket/florida/flsdce/0:2002cv60772/9482/

I don't know Mr. Santiago.  I have never heard of his firm before.  We will see what transpires.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 11:08:16 AM »
Internet stealth marketing.
What's that?

A lot of law firms have bad web site. Getty Images has money. I suspect they will have picked a competent law firm. They don't want to be enjoined from sending out demand letters.

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 11:19:41 AM »
"Internet stealth marketing" is me being snarky. "Stealth marketing" is an oxymoronic term for those who "try" to market successfully (in this case Internet), but it ends up being detrimental.

And yes, many law firms do have crappy uninformative websites. So, if they have been in existence a number of years, it says that they have enough referrals and a presence to be profitable. I did acknowledge that. Nevertheless, a website is like a calling card nowadays.  One would think they would want to portray a better image of themselves.

Internet stealth marketing.
What's that?

A lot of law firms have bad web site. Getty Images has money. I suspect they will have picked a competent law firm. They don't want to be enjoined from sending out demand letters.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 11:21:49 AM by Matthew Chan »
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 11:36:55 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out why they didn't hire Attorney Timothy B. McCormack for this.

</snark>
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2014, 12:17:37 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out why they didn't hire Attorney Timothy B. McCormack for this.

</snark>
They need a Florida firm. :)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 12:18:39 PM »

</snark>
1. Maybe they have inspirations of possibly winning?
2. Is Timothy B. McCormack a real lawyer or just a collection schlep?
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2014, 04:04:10 PM »
Oscar has been formally admitted into Florida in support of Schneider Rothman against Getty Images.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/239559043/Schneider-Rothman-v-Getty-Images-Docket

ENDORSED ORDER granting [8] Motion to Appear Pro Hac Vice, Consent to Designation, and Request to Electronically Receive Notices of Electronic Filing as to Oscar Michelen. Signed by Judge Donald M. Middlebrooks on 9/16/2014. (kcr)

Also, Attorney Robert P. of Santiago Woodbury & Santiago in Miami, FL has filed his Notice of Appearance is heading up the Getty Images side. It looks like Getty waited to see what Schneider Rothman would do first before committing to their own lawyer.

NOTICE of Attorney Appearance by Robert Peter Santiago on behalf of Getty Images, Inc.. Attorney Robert Peter Santiago added to party Getty Images, Inc.(pty:dft). (Santiago, Robert) (Entered: 09/15/2014)

Robert Peter Santiago
Woodbury & Santiago, P.A.
9100 S Dadeland Boulevard
Penthouse 1 - Suite 1702
Miami, FL 33156
305-670-9580
Fax: 305-670-2170
Email: robert.santiago@woodbury-santiago.com

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 05:46:28 PM »
A familiar name has popped up on the updated docket.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/239559043/Schneider-Rothman-v-Getty-Images-Docket

Scott "Towels" Wilsdon has filed his notice of appearance on behalf of Getty Images.

It looks like Scottie wants to face off against Oscar again! This is going to get interesting.

I believe Getty will try to bribe their way out of this one to avoid the discovery process. If the money is high enough, I wouldn't blame Schneider Rothman from banking it if it comes to that.  Karmic justice for Getty who ends up paying out for an extortion letter they should never have sent out!

$100,000 to settle out sounds pretty good to me.  A nice round number.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2014, 10:41:16 AM »
Personally I hope there is no settlement until AFTER discovery, but I'm selfish.

Robert Krausankas

Joel Rothman

• View Profile
    • SRIPLAW
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2014, 06:36:32 PM »
Getty Images has filed a motion to dismiss the SRIPLAW complaint in this case: http://www.scribd.com/doc/241112937/Getty-Images-Motion-to-Dismiss

The motion is based upon the Noerr-Pennington Doctrine

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2014, 09:46:31 PM »
So what do the lawyers think?  Should this doctrine apply?  I hope not as it justifies some very bad behaviors.

I can't wait to see the real answer to this one.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.