Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Settlement Offers  (Read 9085 times)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: Settlement Offers
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 05:35:57 PM »
For the record, I removed Chloe's name from the main ELI website as a professional courtesy a couple years back. The request came from one of the managers at Getty Images. I did it because she had the good sense to let my case go after my 2nd letter. I think she "understood" what I was saying to her in my letter and my very public blog posts.

I wasn't out to personally crucify her but I would have not hesitated to do so or anyone else at Getty Images that stood in my way if I had to.

I actually don't have an axe to grind with her now since my case is long over with. Regardless, I think it is safe to say she made a permanent impact in the fight against the stock photo industry. We can thank Chloe for being partially responsible for instigating my launch of ELI and establishing my business relationship and friendship with Oscar.

Everyone give Chloe thanks and applause.  LOL. None of us would be here today if it were not for her.

Matthew-- FYI I looked up the person that handled your demand letter on Linked in and her job description states that not only did she negotiate amicable settlements, she excelled at turning infringers into customers, leading her department in Q1 2010.  Though you might get a chuckle out of that info.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Little BigHorn

• View Profile
Re: Settlement Offers
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 01:07:21 PM »
At this juncture, you have three options: (1) continue to ignore these overtures unless and until suit is filed (in which case you would need to respond to avoid default); (2) An IP attorney could respond to this attorney stating that they have been retained to represent you and have future communication handled through them (they would hate that); or (3) you could drag the matter out further volleying generic e-mails back and forth with this lawyer (essentially saying nothing) and see if she just gives up.  If the photo attorneys law firm is not based in the state where you live, then it’s highly unlikely that these attorneys are authorized to practice before the local federal courts so they would need to retain another law firm to act as “local counsel” in order to file suit. This will eat into their recovery.  Moreover, I am sure Mr. John Doe, the photographer, doesn’t want to come to your state to litigate this case, especially if he lives 10 hours away over 1 photo, removed before asked, and used for only a few months, etc...intentional profiteering scenarios don't apply here and you need to get punished for those.  My belief is that the photographer probably told the “photo attorney” I’ll take settlements (e.g., cash payments) but I don’t want to litigate. 

You can make a settlement offer, IE $500 to the demanding source if it is driving you crazy, and tell them they can either take the settlement, or you will apply it towards signing a retainer with a local IP attorney and then they could direct all future correspondences to your attorney. You could also advise them that attorney will be the same source to direct any inquiries regarding issues related to any future bankruptcy proceedings you may have and wish them a good day.

I would ask the photo attorney for the actual damages, which they most likely will not provide, and keep asking as without it you cannot make a reasonable settlement and the court are leaning, in innocent/ignorant scenarios where the photo has no relationship to your business, was removed long before you even received a letter demanding it be removed and it was only there a few months, with damages more in line with actual. I would think an offer of 3X the actual damages would be a good reasonable offer, if necessary. With the emergence of cyber fraud I would think that it would be reasonable to ask the photo attorney for a copy of the contract , notarized, showing that shows she in fact has the agency relationship she alleges. Otherwise, how do you know it's legitimate - its reasonable. As I have seen on this site, it is sort of like unintentionally rolling into the back of the car in front of you. The driver of that car says they own the car, but cannot provide a registration. You apologize and offer to pay for the damages out of your pocket and make a settlement. A few days later, the person who was driving that car says the damages are $5000. You are naturally shocked, as this was only a tiny ding and some scratched paint. You ask for a copy of the registration to verify it with their license to make sure it is their car. Otherwise she has no right to mediate a settlement, you also ask for a copy of the collision shop estimate that she says she has. She refuses to provide any of this information. Do you write a check? I wouldn't. If you go to court and she asks for "reasonable" attorney fees, had she provided the information you asked for, which was reasonable and a necessary step to mediate a settlement, there would have been no need for attorney fees. Thus, I would think those fees would be denied, since they weren't reasonable because she was unreasonable in the attempted settlement stages and incurred unreasonable attorney fees relative to the totality of circumstances

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.