Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Settlement Offers  (Read 9084 times)

annalise

Settlement Offers
« on: February 02, 2012, 08:44:24 AM »
Regarding the minimum judgment award to plaintiffs for innocent infringement of one photo, that the court can award is $200? So, one should offer at least this amount to possible avoid paying any legal fees of plaintiff?

I remember reading somewhere $300

Peeved

Re: Settlement Offers
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 01:22:49 PM »
Regarding the minimum judgment award to plaintiffs for innocent infringement of one photo, that the court can award is $200? So, one should offer at least this amount to possible avoid paying any legal fees of plaintiff?

I remember reading somewhere $300

Taking the bait here....

A) WHY would you ever want to offer out of the gate the maximum amount that a court might award for "innocent infringement"?

B) Offering the maximum amount that might be awarded for "innocent infringement" does NOT "avoid paying any legal fees" should your case go to court! Avoiding legal fees can only be accomplished if the Stock Company accepts your offer which is highly unlikely.

IF you are going to make an offer, the "idea" is to offer as low as possible and try to negotiate for a settlement (unlikely to be accepted) KNOWING that IF it does go to court and you can prove "innocent infringement", a judge MIGHT award a maximum amount of say $200.00.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 03:29:42 PM by Peeved »

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 04:34:55 PM »
The $200 minimum award is for statutory damages which Getty is not entitled too since the images are largely unregistered. There is no technical minimum or maximum on what a court can award on "actual damages" though most courts have said that the amount of statutory damages should bear some relationship to the plaintiff's actual damages.  Hope that's not to confusing.

annalise

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 07:34:02 PM »
I am confused. I thought if you offered the minimum award judge will grant for innocent infringement - of $200 and the troll didn't accept it, then if you go to court and the judge awards the $200, then you would not have to pay for their legal fees since they already refused your same offer of $200.

Just trying to decide how high to go with any negotiations. Definitely not starting out offering the entire amount.

How long to these supposed negotiations last before they say they are going to sue? Am I looking at 6 months, a year of letter writing?   Hmmm How long does law school take?

Definitely not going for the speedy email route- I would have to counter-sue for time-infringement for ruining every day with one of their emails LOL

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 08:10:23 PM »
I'll bite...

IF you feel compelled to make an offer, find out how much a similar image is selling for on other sites for a 1 year license, divide by 4 and make an offer of that amount...I just pulled that out of my hat, because they will NOT accept any offer you make unless it is the full amount. The back and forth will continue as long as you allow it to, plain and simple..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 09:34:12 PM »
Annalise,

May I suggest that you can play "what if" all day long and not get the answer you seek. While having legal arguments and insights on your side is helpful, if you think you are going to "outlawyer" the opposing side into submission, you are not understanding this fight and you have gone all the way to far left field.

The "reasonable" offer you make is going to get turned down whether it is $100, $200, $300, or $400.  Pick a number you are comfortable with in case they miraculously say yes.  Even then, you can change your mind.

You ask if it will take 6 months or a year is going on the WRONG track. You are playing their game.

My case ended within 2 replies in about 60 days and that was it.  I did my courtesy responses because I didn't want to be accused of ignoring the situation. But it didn't take me long to assess what (and who) I was dealing with and respond appropriately.  I laid down the law of the consequences of their continuing on. 

I had no plans on going around and around with a $12-$15/hour clerk trying to "convince" the other side. I knew my position and my limits and what I was going to put up with and what not to put up with.

Believe it or not, the brokest people really have the least to worry about in these cases. I keep hearing from people how broke they are and how they can't pay.  Well, that actually works to your benefit if it is the truth.  If I was broke, I would simply tell them that.  You can go spend thousands of dollars to come after me but if my monthly checking account hovers around $200 per month, there is not much to get.

Mcfilms said it in a very nice way you stop asking and "you start telling" people how things are going to go down.  I have used this tactic repeatedly over the years and it works.

Do yourself a favor and back up the truck to get a wider viewer. If you don't, you are going to get sucked into the rabbit hole.

Just trying to decide how high to go with any negotiations. Definitely not starting out offering the entire amount.

How long to these supposed negotiations last before they say they are going to sue? Am I looking at 6 months, a year of letter writing?

« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 03:21:42 AM by Matthew Chan »
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

annalise

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 08:30:12 AM »
When you say "I laid down the law of the consequences of their continuing on" - what exactly did that entail?

And how did they respond?

It appears that the crux of all of these cases is the improper registration of copyright.

lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 08:56:29 AM »
annalise--
The entire chronology of Matt's case is here: http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/my-case/

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 01:10:09 PM »
No, the crux of of Getty Images cases is that the system is a well-oiled, energy-sucking, money-making machine that works best against those who can't see the big picture and respond like trained monkeys (no offense intended here, just a descriptive term to drive home a point) to their letters. Because Getty Images has not filed lawsuits against anyone with only a few images, the solution comes down to making a stand in such a way that they "get" the message to leave you alone.

I have never heard of any "successful" settlement of less than $500/image unless someone paid for legal representation. So, unless you are prepared to do that, your only alternative is to "make a stand" in a convincing way.

The whole discussion of improper registration and other related issues is simply a talking point, nothing more.

And how did they respond?

It appears that the crux of all of these cases is the improper registration of copyright.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 01:17:57 PM »

Believe it or not, the brokest people really have the least to worry about in these cases. I keep hearing from people how broke they are and how they can't pay.  Well, that actually works to your benefit if it is the truth.  If I was broke, I would simply tell them that.  You can go spend thousands of dollars to come after me but if my monthly checking account hovers around $200 per month, there is not much to get.

Exactly. There is such a thing as "judgment proof." And although I don't advocate it as your sole defense, I believe it strikes terror into the heart of prosecuting attorneys.

Basically, if you work freelance, there is no paycheck to garnish. If you are retired or collecting social security garnishment is not possible. Keep in mind that if you do get a job over the next 7 years, they would be able to garnish your paycheck (up to 25%). And also not paying this debt will ding your credit.

On the flip side, will your adversary want to waste time going to court, risk loosing, be forced to produce a bunch of contracts and documents, all for a judgment that will go unpaid?

This may not make them walk away. But I think any reasonable offer you make has to be presented to their client. So without admitting guilt, in the interest of ending this amicably, make a low-ball offer*.  Tell the attorney that when he presents your offer to his client to be sure to mention that you are pretty much judgment proof and broke and you will be putting this payment on your credit card or selling your bicycle to pay for it.

*BTW, what "low-ball" is depends on the stock agency involved, the registration status of the image, the current and previous license price, comparable image prices,  and the prevalence of the image all over the Internet. In most cases I'm thinking $10 to $200, probably $50 most of the time.)

Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 02:38:56 PM »
Way ahead of you bro.

http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/getty-images-letter-forum/what-makes-a-person-'judgement-proof'/

But, it was worth bringing up once more, thanks.

S.G.

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 03:47:21 PM »
I should have figured this was already covered. And Oscar offers up better (and let's just say probably more legally sound) advice.

There was someone on her a couple months back that sounded on the verge of suicide and talking about how this would wipe them out. I guess I had them in mind when i wrote that.
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

annalise

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 09:36:26 AM »
Matthew-- FYI I looked up the person that handled your demand letter on Linked in and her job description states that not only did she negotiate amicable settlements, she excelled at turning infringers into customers, leading her department in Q1 2010.  Though you might get a chuckle out of that info.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 09:47:44 AM »
I thnk you should post the link to her linked in profile, after all she did such a wonderful job, we should reward her as well with a little exposure.. ;D
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 02:12:19 PM »
... not only did she negotiate amicable settlements, she excelled at turning infringers into customers...

That is hilarious.

I can't imagine anyone subjected to Getty's strong-arm tactics would ever, ever use them again.

Just this week I had a customer that wanted to use microstock for his site. I purposefully steered him away from iStock (a Getty company) to Pond5. We got down to the last image and he really wanted this one from iStock. Finally I said, "Look, if you want it, you are going to have to buy it. I cannot do business with them." And I related my whole story. He ended up getting the Pond5 image instead.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 10:16:29 PM by mcfilms »

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.