Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: SOL and damages (some comfort for those riding out the storm?)  (Read 2180 times)

Lettered

• View Profile
Seems to be several here "riding out the storm".  This might be some comfort to those waiting out the statute of limitations (SOL) to see what Getty will do . . . assuming my interpretations are correct.  Assume a image is taken down in response to a demand letter on Jan 1, 2012 : this starts the 3 year SOL clock running, for both timely filing of a lawsuit, AND for actual damages calculation.  Let's say that suit is filed on Dec 31, 2014 (1 day shy of SOL).  That leaves 1 day of infringement for calculation of actual damages.  This is because only 1 day of infringement falls within the 3 year SOL period.  So if I'm correct,  after the first year, you've already reduced risk exposure by 33%, and it keeps going down from there.
I think this discussion is only applicable to images unregistered at the commencement of infringement (otherwise plaintiff is entitled to ask for statutory damages).
I think that the length of infringment is important because stock photography images are licensed for a time period of usage (less time requires less license fees) . . . and actual damages would likely be calculated based on reasonable license fees.
Would be interested to know if I've interpreted that correctly . . . comments welcome.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 09:20:03 AM by Lettered »

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.