Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Stand and Fight vs. Sit and Wait? (US)  (Read 3564 times)

CentrePointe

Stand and Fight vs. Sit and Wait? (US)
« on: November 10, 2010, 03:52:48 PM »
Hello ELI Community,

I am an apartment manager in California that received Getty's "Unauthorized Use" letter regarding two images on our building's website on October 7th. As soon as I got the letter, I contacted Getty to find out more information. I got all the stock "we just want to make sure our artists are compensated" responses and gave them my email to follow up with me. I asked if the originally proposed $1,475.00 with a two week deadline was negotiable and was told to expect an email. The email arrived indicating that a mere $1,100.00 would make it go away, but that I only have seven days to respond. Some how I managed to cut the amount "due" by a third while simultaneously cutting my timeline in half! I immediately removed the images, began searching the web about this letter and was ultimately led here.

I am comfortable with, what appears to be, the fact that this situation is going to cost me money and I don't care who gets it, as long as it is the smallest amount possible. Many people recommend ignoring the letter and waiting to see if they pursue farther. Has anyone done this with any success? Other people retain legal services. Oscar Michelen's initial service involves drafting a response to Getty's letter, reviewing any returned correspondence and drafting a second letter as well for $150.00. I don't think that these cases come any simpler than mine, and I want to know how effective pursing the issue legally has historically been. What kind of results have people seen in small cases like mine that Oscar has fought for? What, in this community's experience, is the best course of action?

Thank you for any input that can be provided,

- ES

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
Re: Stand and Fight vs. Sit and Wait? (US)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 05:25:26 PM »
ES -

Having helped over 500 companies in this matter, I can tell you that Getty will not likely sue but will keep up a campaign of letter-writing and harassment. I often tell the folks that contact me that provided they can sit by and not get nervous or hyped up by the flurry of letters, emails, etc.  then waiting Getty out is a valid method of dealing with this.  

Its really up to each individual person's level of tolerance versus spending the $150 and not having to address it any further.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 10:49:22 AM »
Greetings,

The 150.00 bucks I spent was well worth not having to worry about this! I haven't heard a single thing regarding my "case" and Mr. M drafted and sent my letter in May 09...so no news is good news as far as i am concerned.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 01:09:45 PM »
Thanks buddhapi

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.