Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Removing images from web page, hard drive and archive.org??  (Read 7317 times)

ciphomes

• View Profile
Removing images from web page, hard drive and archive.org??
« on: April 30, 2012, 07:14:38 PM »
As it has been stated, images must be removed from web pages, hard drives, web servers, etc.  What if our website was built thru GoDaddy, (created ourselves) I went ahead and deleted the image from my webpage, from my images (within GoDaddy's - Website Tonite program), & from my hard drive, do I need to inform GoDaddy so that they remove it from some other server they have that I'm not aware of? Also, how does one remove the image from archive.org and how did it get there in the first place if I didn't put it there? Your response is greatly appreciated.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: Removing images from web page, hard drive and archive.org??
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 07:20:56 PM »
If you removed the image from your page and the images folder, there is no need to contact go-daddy, as you've already removed it.. Archive.org, caches webpages and it's easy to remove your cached version of the site, use the search tool above for archive.org, one of the threads here has the instructions.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

ciphomes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 08:13:22 PM »
Thanks for your quick reply buddhapi. Unfortunately, I just spoke w/ GoDaddy (Website Tonite) and it seems they are not set up or can support the ability to place a robots.txt after a domain name. (Mitch said they do not recommended or suggest doing this as it blocks the ability to be searched by several engines). So I have went ahead and taken the next step Internet Archives mentioned (If you cannot put a robots.txt file up, read our exclusion policy. If you think it applies to you, send a request to us at info@archive.org. and emailed wayback2@archive.org directly to please remove this from their site.   Will keep the forum posted as to what happens. Tx again. 

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 08:27:28 PM »
go-daddy's website tonight is pretty much useless for just about anything, but do send the request to archive.org, unfortunately with the go-daddy thing, you won't be able to prevent picscout from knocking on your door and gaining access, or any of the other"bad bots" that are out there trolling around..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 09:11:06 PM »
Go Daddy is about the least friendly and least flexible service out there but it amazes me how so many people voluntarily deal with them.  It is a tribute to their outstanding (but obnoxious and spammy) marketing endeavors. I hate dealing with them. I get tired of inheriting other people's problems where Go Daddy is concerned.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 09:16:05 PM »
And besides those issues, they nickel and dime their customers to death. I can't figure it out either.. I won't get started on the fact that the owner/ceo Parsons like to shoot and kill endangered elephants, thats for another forum

Robert Krausankas

Cooter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 10:39:37 PM »
For what it's worth, I was successful with having archive.org remove my site with an email stating that I was a Getty target. I just had to prove that I owned the domain by emailing them the request from the email listed under the Whois registration contact page.  It took about 4 business days for them to take it down.

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 02:23:21 AM »
You technically don't have to explain your reasons why you want your website taken down. However, I wonder if enough people stated that they are removing themselves from the archive because it is being corrupted by sleazy corporate interests like Getty Images, would they say anything or make a public statement how it is eroding their mission.

Honestly, before all this, I enjoyed having all my websites in the Archive. I have had my own websites since the late 1990's and it was fun going back to see how my work evolved over the years. I forgot a lot of what I did. It was "painful" but also amusing to see the early works.

Getty Images and the stock photo industry are cancers to the Archive.  It is quite unfortunate we have to recommend people removing their past works from the Archive. It really goes against my personal support of their mission to preserve historical views of the Internet.

For what it's worth, I was successful with having archive.org remove my site with an email stating that I was a Getty target. I just had to prove that I owned the domain by emailing them the request from the email listed under the Whois registration contact page.  It took about 4 business days for them to take it down.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 01:07:41 PM »
I still keep my sites on Archive.org precisely for this reason.
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

Cooter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 06:49:21 PM »
You technically don't have to explain your reasons why you want your website taken down. However, I wonder if enough people stated that they are removing themselves from the archive because it is being corrupted by sleazy corporate interests like Getty Images, would they say anything or make a public statement how it is eroding their mission.

Matt, you summed it up perfectly.  The site I took down was a simple 7-page static website promoting my mom's single-employee (her) beauty salon.  It showed a price list, services offered, and a map showing potential clients how to get there.  Did I want to take it down?  Of course not.  However, I cannot allow Getty to continue harassing my mother any further, since she is their perfect target who would have just paid them what they asked for without first educating herself on what they're really doing.  Therefore, I've hired Oscar to intercept their communication going forward, and on her request, wanted to simply remove all history of the site to help her mental state going forward.  It's what is currently helping her sleep at night, and I pray Oscar sends them his letter before they send her the next one - I can't go through another week of her instability in thinking she's done something wrong.

If they were harassing ME, however, I would have certainly left the site archived.  It really all depends what helps you get through this, mentally.

Mulligan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 07:08:53 PM »
Cooter, I'm really sorry to hear about the pressures your mother is dealing with. I shudder when I think about how many people are suffering the same mental anguish as your mom because of what Getty Images and creepy copyright trolling outside counsels like the Timothy B. McCormack Law Firm are doing.

Cooter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 07:54:36 PM »
Thanks Mulligan, appreciate that.  And thanks to every member of this forum for sharing your own stories, advice, and experiences.  Matt and Oscar should be proud of what they've established since this is definitely not something to tackle on your own. 

Sharing information from this forum, as well as some of everyone's experiences with my mom has made it a little easier for her to cope with the scenario, but unfortunately she still doesn't quite understand everything in it's entirety.  Getty and McCormack's letters are absolutely terrifying to their target audience, and because of that, Getty Images will forever live in a "bad place" in the back of her mind.  Way to go Getty, you've certainly invented a unique way to achieve unforgettable brand recognition.

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 08:36:11 PM »
I also have an elderly mother that can be a challenge to explain things to especially when they are ruled by fear. In these situations, it is best to take the path of least resistance. Hiring Oscar is the best thing you can do.  If you hired another lawyer, I promise you it would be a more painful process. I have been working with Oscar for nearly 4 years and I promise you, I would not attach my photo with his if we weren't tag-teaming how we help people.  We have a multi-pronged strategy that has been quite potent to the regrets of some of the copyright troll attorneys.

I feel the stress and pain of your situation. Believe me when I tell you that I don't say that often. Your situation definitely resonates with me.

Matt, you summed it up perfectly.  The site I took down was a simple 7-page static website promoting my mom's single-employee (her) beauty salon.  It showed a price list, services offered, and a map showing potential clients how to get there.  Did I want to take it down?  Of course not.  However, I cannot allow Getty to continue harassing my mother any further, since she is their perfect target who would have just paid them what they asked for without first educating herself on what they're really doing.  Therefore, I've hired Oscar to intercept their communication going forward, and on her request, wanted to simply remove all history of the site to help her mental state going forward.  It's what is currently helping her sleep at night, and I pray Oscar sends them his letter before they send her the next one - I can't go through another week of her instability in thinking she's done something wrong.

If they were harassing ME, however, I would have certainly left the site archived.  It really all depends what helps you get through this, mentally.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.