Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Techdirt: Court Orders Copyright Troll, Post $10K Bond, Client License Agreement  (Read 4503 times)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Techdirt has posted an article about Richard Liebowitz of Liebowitz Law Firm using "unusual" tactics to extract settlements.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20180307/20363239383/court-orders-copyright-troll-to-post-10000-bond-after-he-lied-about-his-clients-licensing-agreement.shtml

Techdirt writes:

According to two recent orders handed down by two different judges, Liebowitz has filed more than 500 copyright cases in the Southern District of New York alone over the last two years, most often representing photographers.

Essentially, the lawyer/law firm (on behalf of his photographer clients) appears to have taken certain liberties in representing "facts" that are not quite so "factual". The law firm of Booth Sweet LLP apparently is the law firm fighting against Liebowitz.

Also, the fact that a court is willing to order a party to post bond, seems unusual. It generally means that a court is suspicious that the party's position may not be credible.

The article and court order goes into a lot of background information.

But the takeaway is that people should get educated and not be afraid to verify claims other parties make when they are trying to extract money from you. Things are never what they seem.

ELI is all about going below the surface of how these things work. Unfortunately, too many people do not get informed and let their fears and ignorance take over. I know most people are not lawyers but that does not mean they cannot get educated and be informed on a lot of relevant issues.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
I suspect it won't be long and this troll will join other copyright trolls, in a new line of work. Seems most of these trolls either pick the wrong person to sue, how decides to fight back, or they do some really dumb shit as in this case...

"Lives paycheck to paycheck"...i'm sure hoping we see some proof of this...

Maybe we should start a thread / name game and name all of the trolls that have come and gone. Would be  a long list!
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.