Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Thank you Matthew and Oscar  (Read 4594 times)

davep42

• View Profile
Thank you Matthew and Oscar
« on: November 18, 2008, 07:20:57 AM »
A great big thanks you for putting this form up.  I too am a web designer who has done hundreds of websites and one (1) picture (for our own company website designed in 2002) had a pic where we can't locate the subcontractor to verify if a license was purchased.  None of my clients have received a letter because I never stole pictures to use in websites.  

I am now getting "collection calls" and although bothered by this - in a bizarre way I felt "good" about taking these guys myself with, wait for this ...no representation.  I mean normally doing so would be stupid, but I kind of took the outrageous demands from Getty as personal. I want to get in front of a judge and destroy them.

I will probably send you $150 just to donate in your efforts to help others.  Same for webmaster.  You both should have an inconspicuous paypal donate button somewhere as I would happily pitch in.  I would rather spend Getty demand money on you guys, or at least sending the money to a good hearted attorney.  Be clear though, Getty will never get my money.  

This extortion letter by getty (small g from now on) is causing great worry with some very good people.  Thanks again to the site owner and the legal representative (Matthew Chan & Oscar Michelen) for being a light for justice for the small guy who needs it most.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Thank you Matthew and Oscar
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
Dave,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I have to tell you it is gratifying to hear that people feel assisted by this website and forum.  Last night, Oscar and I were kind of musing to each other why do we do this because both of us are not doing it for the compensation!  My company or I don't get anything for doing this.  We have, thus far, donated our time and the minimal expense to keep this site alive.  The $150 that Oscar receives is pretty minimal when you consider it has to cover him, his paralegal, and his NY office.  Anyone that knows NY knows that it is very expensive to simply keep the doors open.

Having said that, I very much like your idea of putting up a PayPal button for anyone who wishes to donate funds to show their appreciation and give thanks.  I see no harm in that.  In many ways, Oscar and I wish this would all go away so we can declare "victory". However, for now, we have a sense of mission.  The more we find out about Getty and how they operate, the uglier it looks.  What they are doing is really an intentional and ongoing abuse of the legal system and copyright law. It is the hidden bullet they use to put up against people's heads.

Matthew

davep42 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I will probably send you $150 just to donate in
> your efforts to help others.  Same for webmaster.
> You both should have an inconspicuous paypal
> donate button somewhere as I would happily pitch
> in.  I would rather spend Getty demand money on
> you guys, or at least sending the money to a good
> hearted attorney.  Be clear though, Getty will
> never get my money.  
>
> This extortion letter by getty (small g from now
> on) is causing great worry with some very good
> people.  Thanks again to the site owner and the
> legal representative (Matthew Chan & Oscar
> Michelen) for being a light for justice for the
> small guy who needs it most.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

mudpuppy

• View Profile
Re: Welcome! Please Read the Rules Before You Post!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 07:28:59 PM »
Matthew,

I would venture to say, most of us agree with Dave... You and Oscar have put your hearts and souls into this issue and have no doubt spent countless hours researching, responding, etc.. Perhaps at first it was a personal issue for you, but you have now so unselfishly shared your research, experiences and expertise with the rest of us by creating this Forum - which has most certainly become a virutal haven of support for all the "Getty Victims".  You both deserve more than a pat on the back for your continued efforts here! Hope to see a PayPal button soon (tu)

Strength in numbers - together we will prevail!

MP

Ed

• View Profile
Re: Welcome! Please Read the Rules Before You Post!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 04:01:41 PM »
Yes, I also want to also convey my appreciation for the work being done on this site and by Oscar.  My local attorney suggested I pay the 1K and get them off my back, but it did not seem right to not only let them get away with this, but to pay them for it too!  Getty had sent me multiple demand letters, one a month, increasing the price and pressure, and I was glad to hand this over to Oscar, but also a little skeptical about the outcome.  I am please to say that after Oscar send them his letter, I have not received a single response or call.  The very reasonable fee is well worth the peace of mind and if this issue is causing you any worry or distress, call Oscar and let him handle this for you.  It is a GREAT service, for a GREAT price, for us small business operators.  Thanks so much Oscar and Matthew!

Ed Wise, Ph.D.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.