Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Updated comments about Pixsy demand letters  (Read 3218 times)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Updated comments about Pixsy demand letters
« on: July 22, 2017, 09:48:05 PM »
A few new comments about Pixsy demand letters...

I've come across more Pixsy letters in recent months. My general feeling about Pixsy demand letters is that they don't seem to be an overly hostile copyright collections firm.

As with nearly all the copyright collections firms, they send out form letters with a dollar amount. But I have found Pixsy demand letters to be on the lower side of those amounts.  I am much more accustomed to see demand letters in the $1,000 to $5,000 range.

The Pixsy letters I have seen are under $500. To be clear, in my world, $300-$500 is still a lot of money but it is all relative to what you are comparing to.  If you believe you will be sued or you will have to hire a lawyer, then settling out is the most efficient way of disposing of the claim. I still have a real problem paying $500 for image infringement of a stock photo but then again, I am one who is able and willing to put in the time to do research and fight any claim. I have enough background and knowledge in legal matters to not simply rollover without doing extensive homework.

However, comparatively speaking, Pixsy demand letters are much better than getting Masterfile, Getty, Higbee, etc. demand letters for a variety of reasons.

Pixsy seems less litigious and their settlement offers are more "reasonable" (less expensive) than almost anyone except perhaps LCS (a division of Getty Images). As it stands, if I ever had to receive an extortion letter, I would prefer to get one from Pixsy or LCS.  They are lower and tamer than most. But it is also possible they don't have the requisite copyright registration either to pursue anything more than sending letters in the hopes uninformed people will pay.

Ultimately, my general feeling is that if you are a business owner who values their time, it may be more PRACTICAL to just pay Pixsy, move on, and consider it a cost of doing business. In PRINCIPLE, I believe you should do your homework and make sure you don't just pay because it is convenient.

But I can honestly say, over the years, I have spoken to a diverse group of people, from entrepreneurs who work from home to larger businesses with many employees. I find myself telling people with the larger businesses or those people whose time is valuable, that it might just be easier to settle for the lowest amount you can negotiate and move on. (NEVER PAY THE STATED AMOUNT! ALWAYS NEGOTIATE FOR A LOWER AMOUNT!)

There is no one answer fits all because people's risk tolerance, people's financial standing, and legal experiences vary tremendously.

People who will lose sleep and get ulcers almost have no choice but to settle if they won't take on the task of getting educated. But I have found that for some people, no matter how much education and information, their fears and emotions overtake them. Not much anyone can do for them.

Insofar as Pixsy goes, they lean on the nicer, tamer, less greedy, and less extortionate side of the copyright collections world.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.