Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Use of image in creative portfolio  (Read 4406 times)

Aaronymous

Use of image in creative portfolio
« on: July 06, 2011, 05:50:58 PM »
Hi - I am new to the club... having just received an infringement letter from Masterfile.

Being a photo-illustrator by trade, my pieces often involve a combination of original studio photography with stock elements. Being a photographer myself, I am religious about securing the rights for any images used in one of my pieces, and in fact, have often turned down lucrative offers to resell images because I did not have the rights to some of the elements in the illustration for more than one use.

I received a letter from Masterfile stating that I had violated copyright on an image used as a background element in one of my photo-illustrations. The illustration appeared on a new portfolio website I was building. The website is still under construction, and the image had been sort of thrown up there to be considered with other images in my portfolio.  The image in question was originally used legally, with my client at the time, a magazine, licensing the image for use in the illustration. This may be the factor that makes this tricky... the image was licensed by my client, at my instruction. Not by me personally.

While I am hardcore in my belief that artists and photographers should be compensated for use of their images, I feel we are treading into tricky ground when creative image professionals are not allowed to even show examples of their capabilities and past work without paying usage fees.

When i received the letter, I immediately (within 30 minutes)  removed the offending image and contacted Masterfile in good faith... thinking of course they will understand what happened... they work in a creative industry and fully understand the concept of "portfolio" usage. This was not the case. While I got them to lower their initial claim from $2220 to $740, I still feel this is too high for this "innocent infringement".

I offered to settle the matter in good faith with a payment of $400. They rejected this offer.

My question is, has anyone else been approached over images used in a creative portfolio? How did it turn out? I have officially written to them rejecting their first offer and now am waiting to see what will happen.

I think these letters will be the death of rights managed stock. Why should I or any of my clients risk future legal battles with litigious stock agencies who seem only interested in short term gains over forging long-term relationships with honest clients. There is so much work online on retouchers' websites, ad agencies' websites, designers' websites etc. I can not imagine anyone is paying usage for what amounts to documentation of legally executed jobs. In fact, you could argue it is in the best interests of stock agencies to allow legitimate professional creatives to show legally obtained stock images because if they get more work, they will, in fact, have to purchase more stock.

So anyone have any advice? Did I open up a can of worms by rejecting the offer to settle?

Thanks

redsox

Re: Use of image in creative portfolio
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 05:20:46 PM »
I am in a very similar situation...

1. I am a web designer and I was given a website layout by a design company and told everything was on the up and up with photo licensing.

2. I bult the site for the client. They used a Getty Image on the site

3. I then took a screenshot of the site that i had completed, cropped it in an artistic way, and posted it on my website in an animation of my work. My portfolio of design work.

4. A portion of the Getty image was in my rotating portfolio... I got the dreaded letter.

5. If my client buys the graphic and I use it to complete the project for them... I can't use that project in my portfolio and get any recognition for my work?

This seems absolutely insane to me. Why would any desgner use an image from Getty images if it means that they can never show the work that they completed. I can't put completed work in my portfolio if it had a getty Image in it?

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
Re: Use of image in creative portfolio
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 01:27:13 PM »
I suggest both of you take some time to read the prior posts forum topics and videos that are on this site as your questions are very general and are addressed many times throughout this site.  If after you do that you still have specific questions unanswered by those areas let us know  Thanks for posting!

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.