Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Wacky Copyright Holders Shoot Themselves in the Foot  (Read 3303 times)

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
Wacky Copyright Holders Shoot Themselves in the Foot
« on: May 31, 2012, 01:10:24 PM »
I came across an interesting article today.

http://torrentfreak.com/copyright-holders-punish-themselves-with-crazy-dmca-takedowns-120525/

It seems the zeal used by some companies to issue DMCA take down notices actually trumps their own marketing efforts. These are mostly film studios and record companies where the left hand didn't seem to know what the right hand was doing.

But this led me to Googles Transparency Report at http://www.google.com/transparencyreport/removals/copyright/. You can see there is an upward trend in take down notices. I looked around and couldn't find a search function. I was trying to see where the extortionletterinfo.com site or the Scribd account ranked. :)
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
Re: Wacky Copyright Holders Shoot Themselves in the Foot
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 02:02:02 PM »
Do you think these companies are starting to use bots to search out for their material and then someone is just issuing the DMCA takedowns without checking on what the links are?  I know in large companies sometimes the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing as you said, but who would request take downs on your own trailers, delist your movie on a site that does reviews for movie goers or a Wikipedia listing on your own movie?  As much as I chuckled reading the article something doesn’t seem quite right here.

It seems the zeal used by some companies to issue DMCA take down notices actually trumps their own marketing efforts. These are mostly film studios and record companies where the left hand didn't seem to know what the right hand was doing.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: Wacky Copyright Holders Shoot Themselves in the Foot
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 05:06:42 PM »
I looked around and couldn't find a search function. I was trying to see where the extortionletterinfo.com site or the Scribd account ranked. :)

I don't think ELI has had any takedown notices filed thru google, just scribd itself, and I'm sure scribd gets it fair amount of takedowns..

you can do a takedown search here..http://chillingeffects.org/search.cgi

one would think if Hawaiian Art Network has issued "1000's" of them they would be in this database somewhere...we'll see

::edit:: the above link is for searching C & D reports and may not include DMCA takedown notices, but I know I saw it somewhere..
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 05:08:23 PM by buddhapi »
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.