Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Who can I get images from?  (Read 4284 times)

Book cover shake down

• View Profile
Who can I get images from?
« on: December 28, 2012, 11:50:35 AM »
I recently had a letter from Getty which I have dealt with. So my question is: when I want to get decent images, who is a reputable company that is known to have the appropriate licences (so that I don't have to then deal with Getty et al. again), and has the ethics to not use extortion type tactics for alleged infringers? Do we have a good company list? I want to reward companies who play fair.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
Re: Who can I get images from?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 07:27:16 PM »
Here is a thread from a while back where Jerry Witt made a list of companies.

http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/getty-images-letter-forum/list-of-public-domain-stock-footage-companies/

I recently had a letter from Getty which I have dealt with. So my question is: when I want to get decent images, who is a reputable company that is known to have the appropriate licences (so that I don't have to then deal with Getty et al. again), and has the ethics to not use extortion type tactics for alleged infringers? Do we have a good company list? I want to reward companies who play fair.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 11:36:58 PM »
If you decide you wish to purchase royalty free microstock photography, I urge you to consider Pond5.com and avoid iStockPhoto.com. iStock is owned by Getty Images and it makes no sense to feed the trolls (financially speaking). Furthermore, the photography on Pond5 is as good as what iStock offers, and their pricing is lower. I have checked with a couple Pond5 reps and they have stated that they do not participate in the practice of trolling and don't send out demand letters. As far as I can see, that is true.
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

Book cover shake down

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 08:39:58 AM »
Good information, thanks.

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 07:43:19 PM »
Buy a good digital camera and take them yourself!

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 08:21:39 PM »
I agree with this in general. But sometimes you really need a picture of a hot air balloon or a shark. In THOSE cases I suggest either a.) using stock footage that is from a legitimate US site that claims it is in the public domain -- and document that source meticulously; or b.) use a fair microstock company that doesn't threaten to sue their customers and keep your receipts.

Sure, neither of these guarantees that some copyright troll won't claim ownership and hassle you. But they seem to do it anyway. We've heard reports of them hassling people that obtained images from paid for templates, and even licensed images that just barely went over their license period.

So by all means, if it's a simple image, shoot it yourself. If it is more complex, their are plenty of resources.
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 11:15:48 PM »
Great advice as always Jerry!

I agree with this in general. But sometimes you really need a picture of a hot air balloon or a shark. In THOSE cases I suggest either a.) using stock footage that is from a legitimate US site that claims it is in the public domain -- and document that source meticulously; or b.) use a fair microstock company that doesn't threaten to sue their customers and keep your receipts.

Sure, neither of these guarantees that some copyright troll won't claim ownership and hassle you. But they seem to do it anyway. We've heard reports of them hassling people that obtained images from paid for templates, and even licensed images that just barely went over their license period.

So by all means, if it's a simple image, shoot it yourself. If it is more complex, their are plenty of resources.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.