Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Whois Information  (Read 4402 times)

gotletter

• View Profile
Whois Information
« on: July 19, 2013, 07:48:07 PM »
What i am about to ask is in no way trying to encourage taking images.

When registering a website (or any time thereafter) one can make the who-is information non-public.  In an instance where someone has unknowingly used a copyright image on their site; would it having non-public who0is information slow down getty?

Or do they still have ways of finding out the owner?

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: Whois Information
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 10:38:41 PM »
they could simply subpeona the registar and the "private whois" is useless...godaddy has been known to release private info with a simple email request..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

scraggy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 12:34:46 AM »
But would Getty bother?
I doubt it! It's time consuming.

If you don't want to be found, make sure you don't add your contact details on the website itself !

gotletter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 08:06:14 AM »
Oh, I don't care about "being found".  I was just curious about the "making info on the whois private" - if that would prevent getty (or anyone else) from going after you (or at least make it less likely).  I didn't realize that the image I took was owned by getty, as I did purchase it from a template website.  just curious is all.

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 09:30:12 PM »
I think it WOULD slow them down. There are so many infringements out there with public whois info. Why would they waste time tracking down the owner? One could probably further complicate the process by paying for the domain with paypal linked to a PO box address and hosting the site in another country.

For me, I don't believe in all this tricky obfuscation. I think it makes more business sense to make it easy to be found and be careful in sourcing your images.

It would be interesting to survey letter recipients and find out if there are many (or any) with no contact information on the site and a private whois.
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

kydan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 10:51:42 AM »
If there's one thing I've learned from the internet, it's that you can't hide anything.

Don't take the chance. 

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 01:09:01 PM »
It would slow them down but it also may provide some evidence of a wilful intent to infringe.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.