Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Yet another MasterFile case  (Read 3506 times)

HeartVsMF

• View Profile
Yet another MasterFile case
« on: March 12, 2017, 09:58:06 PM »
Hey Folks,

Baby steps here. From a brief scan of threads here, you all know how it is.

The basic scenario is that an image of a local business was found among those typical vast and generous web search results. No copyright info, used on multiple local sites. I have not yet asked said business how they feel about photos of their business offered for sale for profit by some questionable artists, but that's a separate story.

We are a local hospitality business, and offered links to local resources to potential guests as a goodwill favor, as apparently folks still have a hard time googling stuff. The business in question is one of local attractions, and the page they are listed on is a low-traffic, secondary page. The image was low-res, low-value placeholder, essentially.

So out of the blue we get this email from Masterfile, you probably all know JB at this point. Give us some money now (approx. $1,500 USD) since the ugly poor reso image you used belongs to us somehow, or give us more money later because we will sue you kinda deal.

I asked JB for more details, and got one of those lengthy copy-paste responses. The redeeming factor was that I got a week-long extension to pay their extortion ransom. I also emailed Oscar in the meantime, but haven't heard back. Just reached out to Matthew, we'll see what happens.

So this is a summary, really. Not needing any consolation, but a specific course of action including response letter examples would be a good start, if you feel like helping. I know there's info in the Help section, but I am overwhelmed.

Thank you,

Your friendly Vermont Innkeeper

« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 10:02:42 PM by HeartVsMF »

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
Re: Yet another MasterFile case
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 07:52:04 AM »
HeartvsMF, Welcome to the forum.

As to your situation I will say that masterfile is not the same as Getty images are some of the other settlement demand letter businesses. They do tend to have their ducks in a row when it comes to their images and I do think reaching out to Matthew for a support call and Oscar is a wise first step. Continue reading the form and asking questions about anything you don't understand, the senior members here have a wealth of knowledge and while every situation is different and unique we may be able to offer some insights to your situation.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 07:54:37 AM by Greg Troy (KeepFighting) »
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.