Retired Forums > Hawaiian Letters & Lawsuits Forum

Conrad-Scherer Demand Letter by Attorneys Jeffrey Kominsky & Ivan Kopas

(1/4) > >>

Matthew Chan:
Hawaiian Art Network has recruited a new law firm to do their collection work. It looks to be yet another Vincent K. Tylor image infringement (big surprise here.)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/92901413/Conrad-Scherer-Settlement-Demand-Letter-for-Hawaiian-Art-Network

$8,000 for 1 image. Standard price for a HAN extortion letter. We now don't get shocked over this unless it is over $10,000 per image.

Florida Attorneys Jeffrey L. Kominsky & Ivan Kopas of Conrad-Scherer law firm are the ones sending "extortion" letters on behalf of Hawaiian Art Network. I have never seen an "extortion letter" naming two attorneys in the signature line.

It should be interesting to watch how this big law firm operates vs. the small-time collection lawyers we have seen. There is a big list of lawyers here.  Many of them look like they are 35 or younger. You know what that means.....

http://conradscherer.com/attorneys.asp

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi):
Once again I see they have a long list of "Practice Areas"
Personal Injury, General Liability, Labor and Employment Law, Medical Malpractice & Health Law, Maritime Law, Civil Rights Litigation, Marital and Family Law, International Law, Appellate Practice.

Might as well add Intellectual property to the list of items to "Practice", after all practice makes perfect and you have to start somewhere..

Mr. Kominsky practices civil litigation, focusing upon commercial litigation and general liability....hmmm does copyright infringement fall under "commercial litigation"? Just say'in

ahhh, heres the answer!
Mr. Kopas' primary areas of practice are Commercial Litigation, Telecommunications Litigation and Intellectual Property Litigation. In his Intellectual Property practice, Mr. Kopas has served as trial attorney in complex trademark infringement, false advertising and copyright infringement cases....

but the real kicker is this:

As a former record producer and songwriter for numerous national and independent record companies and recording artists, Mr. Kopas' experience gives him a unique perspective on the intellectual property rights of his clients.

I wonder how proud Nova Southeastern University would be, knowing one of their own has resorted to twisting and abusing the legal system, to put a few dollars in his pocket
I also wonder if he knows Brandon Sand from the music and entertainment business

Moe Hacken:
The attorneys seem well groomed. Their website has an air of professionalism. Nice portrait photography.

It must be noted that the attorneys also use stock photography on their website. On the home page, there's an image of a crane seen through a window as part of a Flash slideshow. That image of the crane can be matched with over 50 different websites, mostly concerned with construction and real estate. It has different filenames all over the place. One only need to use Google advanced search, no need for PicScout or TinEye. Those may even find more matches, among them the proper copyright owner of the image.

Surely they have the receipts and licenses for all of those on file and at hand in case anyone asks to see them on demand. They wouldn't want to expose themselves to an $8,000 claim.

Moe Hacken:
Update on Conrad & Scherer stock photo inventory: the home page image slider features a picture of two very well-groomed individuals in suits. That particular image was matched 280 times or so by Google advanced search. I'm trying to find where they sell that.

At the bottom of the page, Google offers a category titled "similar images". One of them really got my attention. It may be the first sighting of copyright trolls in South Florida:

http://www.northeastofnorth.com/wp-content/gallery/neon-10/NEoN10%20pics%20005.jpg

You can't make this stuff up.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi):
As a side note, they have multiple locations as well...

Conrad & Scherer

Conrad-Scherer Attorney's At LAw

Fort Lauderdale, FL
633 South Federal Highway
Eighth Floor
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33301
P: 954-462-5500
F: 954-463-9244

Washington, DC
1156 15th St. NW
Suite 502
Washington, DC 20005