Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Copyright Services International / HAN Case  (Read 18236 times)

Activated

• View Profile
Copyright Services International / HAN Case
« on: May 28, 2012, 04:44:42 PM »
Aloha! The photo in question with me is grouped in the (VA0001696555). I was just trying to find out how to prove that the photo in question that was on my site is even in there. The one I had is Hanauma Bay. http://free-hd-wallpaper.com/countries/hanauma-bay-oahu-hawaii-51826.html

It is the first photo to come up when you google Hanauma bay + free wall paper.

So far I have only been asked for less than $1,000. 

This has me very stressed out... But I really appreciate all the comments and discovery here.  Thanks everyone.

Moe Hacken

• We have not yet begun to hack
    • View Profile
Re: Copyright Services International / HAN Case
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 11:10:21 PM »
That image is available in hundreds of sites and in thousands of instances if you count the amazing availability of very large sizes that it's offered in. Check out this Google Image search I did using your example's URL as the point of departure:

http://tinyurl.com/7rxf6vx

If you hover the mouse over each of the images, you'll see the tooltip with the URL. Many of them are in foreign countries, but hardly all of them. This image has spread over the internet like some kind of epidemic in a horror movie.

What's more stunning is that this is true of many of VKT's images, particularly the older ones, that HAN is now harassing people for. For example:

http://tinyurl.com/6obbs7v

Okay, that's weird, isn't it? That one is also a VKT image. How about this one?

http://tinyurl.com/75vvmxm

I have never seen anything like it. VKT could set a world record for having his IP infringed upon. :P

With regard to that registration question, please use the Google search bar at the top of the forum page and look for instances of "copyright registration". There are several good posts discussing the issue of bulk registrations. If what you're asking is how you're supposed to know that image is actually part of the collection that was registed in bulk, my answer is I don't know and please tell me if you find out. It seems ridiculous that they expect a person to verify ownership when they bury the information in a totally cryptic manner.

Don't stress out. I know it's hard right now. A lot of the people that contribute to this forum know exactly what you feel like because they went through the same experience.

The more you read, the better you'll feel. It's not likely they'll come after you for a grand. They're asking others for 5-20 times that much. They're just trying to scare you into sending them a check.

Read through the forum posts carefully and don't forget the sticky posts at the top. You will feel more confidence as you know more about what's going on, and you will be able to make rational choices and avoid unforced errors.

If you feel you need faster results, call Matthew Chan (see home page) and pay his very reasonable fee for a consultation. You also have the option of joining Oscar Michelen's letter program (also on the home page). Scroll down to the bottom of the left column to see the links for the updated help options.

Good luck, hang in there and check here often for new developments. There's a lot here about HAN/VKT that will be of interest to you.
I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 09:02:07 AM »
Maybe we should ask Mr. Carner to address your question about all those VT images?

Moe Hacken

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 12:03:02 PM »
I would love to, but he has excused himself from commenting on matters related to the ongoing litigation (see quote below). I find this to be reasonable at this time. I do look forward to reading his comments on this forum.

I look foward to posting on these forums daily and addressing the concerns that have been brought up  on the appropriate thread.  The outcome may not be as glamorous or conspiratorial as expected but there is still plenty of anger and frustration to go around as a result of the current law and how it's utilized by stock photo agencies.  I don't have as much flexibility on the HAN issues but will do my best to contribute as a member of CSI.  Thanks guys and expect more tomorrow.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 12:08:44 PM »
Which tells me he won't be sharing much of anything, except trying to make Copyright Services International look like it's not just another copyright trolling business. My apologies if I sound a bit harsh and skeptical, but Glen Carner just by showing up here still gets zero respect from me..perhaps this will change after he does "some splain'in".

I would love to, but he has excused himself from commenting on matters related to the ongoing litigation (see quote below). I find this to be reasonable at this time. I do look forward to reading his comments on this forum.

I look foward to posting on these forums daily and addressing the concerns that have been brought up  on the appropriate thread.  The outcome may not be as glamorous or conspiratorial as expected but there is still plenty of anger and frustration to go around as a result of the current law and how it's utilized by stock photo agencies.  I don't have as much flexibility on the HAN issues but will do my best to contribute as a member of CSI.  Thanks guys and expect more tomorrow.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 03:18:36 PM »
I think it's safe to say that most of us are skeptical. I know Oscar and I want to hear what he has to say though. You just never know what might come of it.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Dee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 10:15:27 PM »
Less than $1000?  That is the smallest amount I have heard to date.  Perhaps they are realizing the amounts they were asking were too high and making people look into it first rather than an amount they would be more likely to just pay. 

You need to read all the posts here, there is a ton of information from all the people who have been dealing with this.  I also encourage you to share your story with malia@hawaiireporter.com who is working on a story about it. 

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 12:48:30 PM »
I agree Dee that the lower demand amount is likely the result of the "learning process" shoved down HAN's throat by the ELI community

Activated

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 09:14:08 PM »
I just want to say that I really appreciate all the comments on this site. I am learning soooooo much and feel much more confident then I did a month ago. Does anyone know what is going on with the Dollar Rent A Car and Aloha Plastic surgery cases?

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 09:31:42 PM »
The last I heard was on the Aloha case and they have filed a countersuit against HAN.  You can read about it here.  I’m sorry I am not familiar with the Dollar case but I will see what I can find out, or perhaps someone else has some information available.

http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/getty-images-letter-forum/aloha-plastic-surgery-submits-counter-claim/

I just want to say that I really appreciate all the comments on this site. I am learning soooooo much and feel much more confident then I did a month ago. Does anyone know what is going on with the Dollar Rent A Car and Aloha Plastic surgery cases?
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 06:22:17 AM »
I have not heard about the dollar-rent-car case either, I'll get into pacer and have a look, see what I can find.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 08:33:56 AM »
I looked thru Pacer for the dollar rent a car case, plenty of cases but nothing recent, and nothing referral to copyright, can I get more info on this?, perhaps the company that is suing them or, or a link to a reference...anything would help, even if it's just a blog post you saw somewhere.

Robert Krausankas

Activated

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 10:58:46 AM »
Hummm.. I will try to remember where I read something about Dollar.

Moe Hacken

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 06:29:17 PM »
Activated, I'm quite curious ... which of VKT's seedy wallpapers does Glen Carner think they should be paid for in your case? Did they send you a number for the copyright registration? I'd love to add that to my cheesy photo faves.

Activated

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 02:05:21 AM »
O-06 Hanauma Bay (VA0001696555) This is the copyright registration and title. You can find it quite easily by googling Hanauma Bay Oahu Free Wallpaper. Someone here found this link for me....

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbs=simg:CAQSWxpZCxCo1NgEGgQIAQgJDAsQsIynCBowCi4IARIIkASNBI8EExIaIOj-AydZo0mGxpTlpb-nd-jFXdxuCV12ZpjGhYeHv1KHDAsQjq7-CBoKCggIARIExIrV3ww&tbm=isch&q=hanauma+bay+oahu+hawaii&sa=X&ei=DDfET53BPImi8ASolvCvCw&ved=0CCcQpwUoAg&biw=1024&bih=690&sei=jB3FT9a-FKWBsgKixZDXCQ

The funny thing is that when I had my desktop computer upgraded with windows 7 it came back to me with the same photo as wallpaper and I didn't put it there! Also... same with my laptop! It was a strange coincidence. Of course they have long since been removed.

unrelated question... can someone please tell me how to take a screen shot?

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.