Retired Forums > Hawaiian Letters & Lawsuits Forum

CPM Legal Settlement Demand Lettter on Behalf of Hawaiian Art Network

(1/11) > >>

Matthew Chan:
We have a new letter submitted by an ELI reader who has authorized me to post his redacted copy of his settlement demand letter. This never-before-seen letter is from CPM Legal LLC written by California lawyer Christian Martinen. This letter is once again on behalf of Hawaiian Art Network. The photographer in question is Wendy Chattil.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/77260408/CPM-Creative-Settlement-Demand-Letter-by-Christian-P-Martinen

CPM Creative Legal & Production can be found at: http://www.cpm-creative.com

I attached a copy of registration that was later submitted to the letter recipient. However, page 2 is missing. The page that identifies the images registered appears to be conveniently missing. I cannot tell if this is a simply oversight or intentionally left out.

Let's go find out more about these folks. The original letter recipient may chime into this thread.

lucia:
At least the letter has some information indicating something was registered.
I went to the copyright search http://cocatalog.loc.gov/ used the advanced search and found

--- Quote ---Public Catalog
 Copyright Catalog (1978 to present)
Search Request: Builder = (Shattil Wendy)[ in Name: All ]AND(Rozinski)[ in Name: All ]
Search Results: Displaying 29 of 33 entries

Type of Work:    Visual Material
Registration Number / Date:    VA0001301433 / 2004-05-25
Title:    Webshots uploads 2/15-5/18/2004.
Description:    Photos.
Copyright Claimant:    Wendy Shattil, 1949-, & Bob Rozinski, 1938-
Date of Creation:    2004
Date of Publication:    2004-02-15
Previous Registration:    Prev. reg. 1991, VA 451-671.
Basis of Claim:    New Matter: addition of American flag background.
Copyright Note:    Cataloged from appl. only.

Names:    Shattil, Wendy, 1949-
   Rozinski, Bob, 1938-
--- End quote ---

I don't know enough to figure out how to view the actual  images that were registered.  But I am intrigued because I'm not seeing any American flag background behind the cute baby skunks.

lucia:
I'm learning. I noticed the previous updates an image from 1991. I think it might be this:

--- Quote ---Public Catalog
 Copyright Catalog (1978 to present)
Search Request: Builder = (Shattil Wendy)[ in Name: All ]AND(Rozinski)[ in Name: All ]
Search Results: Displaying 15 of 33 entries
Previous Next
Detailed Record

[Bald eagle portrait]
Type of Work:    Visual Material
Registration Number / Date:    VA0000451671 / 1991-02-12
Title:    [Bald eagle portrait]
Description:    photo.
Notes:    Title from appl.
Copyright Claimant:    Wendy Shattil & Bob Rozinski
Date of Creation:    1980
Date of Publication:    est. 1Jan84
Date in Notice:    notice: 1980
Authorship on Application:    Bob Rozinski.

Names:    Shattil, Wendy
   Rozinski, Bob, 1938-
--- End quote ---

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi):
Great find Lucia, wouldn't it be something if they offered this up and it was not for the image in question!! It's one thing to use scare tactics, but this would be really low, unethical, and truly disgusting!

::EDIT:: that second one you show , mentions a bald eagle.. I'm no zoololgist, but I can tell the difference between and eagle and a skunk!

lucia:
I'd avoid getting to excited though. It might just be a clerical screwup. Googling around it's clear these two photographers have registered lots of wildlife images, and published in books. So it may turn out that they sent the wrong registration but a registration does exist. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version