Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Hawaiian Art Network files 2 more suits  (Read 23316 times)

Moe Hacken

• We have not yet begun to hack
    • View Profile
Re: Hawaiian Art Network files 2 more suits
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2012, 09:22:31 PM »
Buddhapi, thanks for those links. I had read one but missed the connection with the other. I can see where they're going with this and it looks like a good angle.

If either defendant can use help with the research, I'd be more than glad to help. I'm continuing to look for patterns in the distribution of the one image from the case I'm aware of.

You most definitely deserve the rank of Hero Member.
I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2012, 01:34:38 AM »
It is true that pushing the "lawsuit button" can trigger an unbelievable ripple effect. One only has to look at RIAA, Righthaven, P2P/Bittorrent lawsuits, etc. to see how that turns out.

I think it's funny how Glen Carner has decided on behalf of HAN to file more lawsuits than Getty Images.  Remember, HAN=Glen Carner.  I wish we had more contacts in Hawaii to find out what this guy looks like and know more about his background.

It was me that mentioned that one of those being sued will be fighting back,and I know first hand that if the default judgment is overturned in the Aloha case, HAN will have their hands full, once a counter suit is filed that backs them against a wall and they will have to see it thru.. I would be willing to bet HAN does not have the resources to go all the way in one case let alone 2. It's only a matter of time before HANs house of cards comes crashing down, especially since they have decided to pull the"lawsuit trigger"
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2012, 01:40:43 AM »
No HAN Letter Forum for now... But you did plant a seed.  Let's see where this all goes.

I don't like to split the forums up too much because it hurts the cross-pollination of knowledge.  Right now, I think people need to understand how the various extortion letter programs work. You will notice I intentionally refer to "outside" legal cases and references because lessons are learned from getting outside the box.

I "make" people learn by referencing topics outside of the core topic because they are interrelated and connected.

Anyone who really wants to drill down on HAN can easily do so with Custom Google Search function for now.

I was considering reposting that valuable info for which Budd supplied previously myself regarding HAN and Aloha's defenses!

Perhaps Matt might consider adding a new "HAN Letter forum".
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Moe Hacken

• We have not yet begun to hack
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2012, 11:29:36 PM »
Matthew, I'd like to send you a comment offline. I tried using the forum message feature but it didn't work. May I use the email address for requesting a phone interview? Please advise.
I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2012, 02:34:17 AM »
Anyone can send me an email but I will not respond to it if it involves advising on a letter situation.  The only way I will get into it with someone is if they make ELI contribution for support.  If you have some juicy extortion letter information, helpful comments, or something related, I am happy to receive it. Otherwise, I don't generally welcome ELI-related emails.

I turned off the private forum messaging for both Oscar and my accounts.  Oscar's personal email address was removed as well. Too many people abuse it asking for free private help no matter how many times we say if someone wants private help/advice, they will have to pay for the service.  The freebies stop with the forums, videos, and blog posts.  People have become downright rude and disrespectful in their insistence to take our time for free regardless of what we say.

Matthew, I'd like to send you a comment offline. I tried using the forum message feature but it didn't work. May I use the email address for requesting a phone interview? Please advise.

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2012, 11:14:40 AM »
Yes, there's many extortion letter recipients who want advice.  The demand letters are sent en-masse daily.

But, copyright laws and trolling tactics haven't changed much at all, and the vast bulk of it has already been discussed on the forums.
For the most part, the letters are are simply "trolls", and there's no actual legal or ethical basis for somebody to pay.
Myself, I don't really respond to the "Got letter!  Wat do?!" topics anymore.  No offense intended, but the forum is already brimming with advice and facts.
Having studied this subject informally for some time, I've come to the realization what a sham the whole trolling business is.
I don't mean to sound insensitive, but once one comes that that realization (that it's 99.999 percent bullshit), it feels like a major chore just trying to calm people down.

Additionally, much of what might be discussed "privately" doesn't help the audience of forum readers as a whole.

On a personal note, I'm always interested in new developments, changes to laws, or the "personalities" the come out of the woodwork from time-to-time.

S.G.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 07:28:50 PM by Matthew Chan »

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2012, 07:50:25 PM »
Absolutely correct on all these points. I should point out that most people are respectful but it's just amazing the time of day I get random calls and the expectations people have when they send in emails. No way in hell am I going to type a long response privately as I might do here publicly.  When I elaborate, I know many people can read and gain from it, not just one person burning up 20 minutes of my time.

To most letter recipients, it is brand new. For many of us, it has become old hat as people come and go.  Most situations are very similar but people think their case is so special.  I have to keep shouting "you aren't that special".  You know some people have slinked off and settled quietly because they can't take the heat because some of the loud ones that make a splash suddenly disappear into the night.

As people can tell, my patience has run a bit thin on some things. Some posts will never get answered because they land here with ZERO reading ahead of time.

It definitely gets old trying to reassure people. I really don't try to anymore. I tell the facts and if they still quiver and get an ulcer, I just tell to pay money to Oscar to feel better. I really have the least sympathy for the people who can't process facts that are being presented to them.

I do get occasionally get good information when people submit them anonymously so I try not to cut people off the option to reach us directly. We have gotten some goodies through that way.

Yes, there's many extortion letter recipients who want advice.  The demand letters are sent en-masse daily.

But, copyright laws and trolling tactics haven't changed much at all, and the vast bulk of it has already been discussed on the forums.

Myself, I don't really respond to the "Got letter!  Wat do?!" topics anymore.  No offense intended, but the forum is already brimming with advice and facts.
Having studied this subject informally for some time, I've come to the realization what a sham the whole trolling business is.
I don't mean to sound insensitive, but once one comes that that realization (that it's 99.999 percent bullshit), it feels like a major chore just trying to calm people down.

Additionally, much of what might be discussed "privately" doesn't help the audience of forum readers as a whole.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.