Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Hawaiian Art Network files 2 more suits  (Read 23313 times)

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Hawaiian Art Network files 2 more suits
« on: May 02, 2012, 02:04:47 PM »
2 more suits have been filed by Hawaiian Art Network, I am still reading the complaints, but will have more info and the docs uploaded soon. These 2 suits have been filed in California, which mark the first time that I am aware of them filing suit off the islands..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Peeved

Re: Hawaiian Art Network files 2 more suits
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 02:48:55 PM »
Let me guess....Vincent K Tylor?

>:( >:(

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 05:09:55 PM »
Naturally.. I won't get to much into the complaints themselves, you all can go read them once they are posted, but I'll offer up a couple of nuggets to get the FREE PR chain rolling!

Both cases are for several images and both cases are being represented by:
Matlock Law Group ( http://matlocklawgroup.com/index.php )
50 California Street, Suite 1500
San Francisco, CA 94111
ph: 415.277.5499
fx: 925.944.7138
email: info@MatlockLawGroup.com

Matlock Law Group who can now be added to our ever growing number of copyright trolls appear to be yet another "one stop shop" for your legal needs.

Matlock Law Group much like the other extortionistic trolls does not seem to have much of an internet presence ( not surprisingly)

I have managed to get a few nuggets for your reading pleasure and will comment more on the actual complaints as I digest them

Anne-Leith Matlocks Bio- http://matlocklawgroup.com/amatlock.php
Admitted to California Bar 2006:
http://members.calbar.ca.gov/fal/Member/Detail/244351

K. Brian Matlocks bio - http://matlocklawgroup.com/bmatlock.php
Admitted to California Bar 2006: http://members.calbar.ca.gov/fal/Member/Detail/243812

Let me guess....Vincent K Tylor?

>:( >:(
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 05:26:03 PM by buddhapi »
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 06:34:52 PM »
I didn't read the complaints... but if these are anything like the other H.A.N. lawsuits, it'll be pretty easy to defeat them.
I doubt that H.A.N. would "go the distance", court losses for them could end in bankruptcy.

Massive losses and bankruptcy were ok for Righthaven... they were an experiment by Stephens Media.
Their investment was expendable from day one in case the effort failed.
Not everyone can "bet the entire farm" on weak legal cases.

S.G. gives H.A.N's chances in court "the official thumbs down":
http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/4c236b057f8b9ae0490c0000/gladiator-thumbs-down.jpg

S.G.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 06:36:48 PM by SoylentGreen »

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 06:42:41 PM »
Have no fear SG we'll be posting the complaints for all to see, there are a few points worth commenting on, and I'm going to introduce everybody to a special ELI guest appearance!

Robert Krausankas

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: Hawaiian Art Network lawsuits in California
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 09:58:27 PM »
The two new Hawaiian Art Network lawsuits in California have been uploaded. There are more exhibits this time around. Interestingly, Vincent K. Tylor is NOT listed in the legal complaints this time around. I wonder why. Maybe Tylor doesn't want to stick his name out there in public records or be exposed to a possible counter-suit?

Hawaiian Art Network vs. MND Events: Complaint

http://www.scribd.com/doc/92173058/Hawaiian-Art-Network-vs-MND-Events-Complaint

Hawaiian Art Network vs. The Scott: Complaint

http://www.scribd.com/doc/92173102/Hawaiian-Art-Network-vs-The-Scott-Complaint

If I were the defendants, I would look at a counter-suit and start assembling the evidence of how Vincent Tylor "seeds" the Internet with his wallpaper images. Tylor and HAN are enablers. Unlike Getty Images and Masterfile, Tylor and HAN seem to really take advantage on the seeding process.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 10:07:32 PM »
I have it on good authority that HAN will be in for a fight in one of these cases, and with the Aloha case returning to court for the default hearing, they wil be fighting on 2 fronts... I also have it on good authority that Aloha will be vigorously fighting this, if the default gets overturned.. Counter-suits have been mentioned by both parties..this will be interesting to see how many resources ( dollars & sense ) Han has..

Robert Krausankas

Peeved

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 10:36:18 PM »
Yes it is interesting about Tylor and his "exclusive licenses" with HAN...

9. Plaintiff HAN LLC is an exclusive licensee of the V.K. TYLOR images
through exclusive licenses and is authorized to bring lawsuits on
behalf of Mr. V.K. Tylor to enforce the copyright of the licensed
images for current and/or past infringement.

It also really bugs me that both cases flat out accuse the defendants themselves of removing the copyright information! It could not possibly be that these images were from those "free wallpaper" sites where the copyright info was not part of the download eh?

53. Upon information and belief, Defendants without permission willfully
and intentionally cropped the images, removed Mr. V.K. Tylor's signature
therefrom, and thereby removed the copyright management information
without the authority of the copyright owner.

Hope they put up a hell of a fight!

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 02:32:27 AM »
I don't know how well capitalized Glen Carner is in taking up the mantle on these HAN lawsuits. But I am willing to bet, like the P2P/Bittorrent lawsuits, the HAN lawsuits is really designed to force a settlement, not to "go all the way".

It is likely that Glen Carner puts out relatively little money upfront except for the court filing fees and the lawyer "donates" his time to preparing the complaint.  If and when a settlement happens, they split it 60/40 or whatever.

The defendants and their counsel need to be smart and insightful enough to see past the facade.

The fastest way to turn a lawsuit against you into an asset and a legal weapon is to file a counter-suit.  Once that happens, the plaintiff cannot back out even if they want to drop out on their side.

But the defendants have to be informed, smart, aggressive, and courageous enough to take that tact.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 09:57:17 AM »
I don't see Glen Carner and Hawaiian Art Network having the funds to see these thru, providing the newest victims are willing to fight..

I don't know if this would have any bearing on the case, but I find it interesting nonetheless. In the case of Han v. Mind Events the complaint states
"Professional photographer Mr. V.K. Tylor owns the copy right...." and that HAN is an exclusive licensee of V.K. Tylors' images. Then it references a Mr. V. S. Tylor so does tylor have several names / aliases?

Further more if you look at exhibit #1 it lists Vincent Khoury Tylor as author and copyright claimant.while exhibit #2 lists Vincent Scott Tylor as author and copyright claimant.

It would appear to me this would be 2 separate people, unless he has 2 names. I would further think this should have been filed twice, once for each "person"? or at the very least, have both of these names listed as the plaintiff.

Is this something minor, or could this be reason to toss the case?

Robert Krausankas

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Introducing Michele Tylor - Hawaiian Art Networks Guest Copyright Troll
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 10:34:41 AM »

Michele Tylor is listed as owner of Hawaiian Landmark Images Inc. and also does business as as Kauai Photo And Art Tours with their website being http://www.hawaiianphotos.net/

Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/micheletylor

Why am I choosing to give Michele Tylor the not so distinct title of copyright troll? If you look at the latest complaints filed from Matlock Law Group on behalf of Glen Carner aka Hawaiian Art Network, representing Vincent K. Tylor ( or is it Vincent Scott Tylor?) you'll notice that the copyright registrations are seemingly handled by Michele Tylor.. So with that little piece of information I can only assume that she is also a copyright troll by association, she is apparently a part of the grand scheme of seeding the internet with Vincent K Tylors images, entrapping poor unsuspecting users, that visit the hundreds of FREE wall paper sites and then attempting to extort crazy amounts of money..

It's really a shame that Matlock Law Group and these other copyright troll attorney's only see money signs and never seem to do any homework to see whom they are associating themselves with.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:45:14 AM by buddhapi »

Robert Krausankas

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 11:21:29 AM »
Yes, it's always been about threats and scaring people into settling out of court for the most part.
It's obvious H.A.N. and Tylor actively "seed" their images as "free" all over the 'web.
Getty doesn't appear to do so themselves, but their CEO does encourage others to do so, as seen in the recent TechCrunch video.
So, I'd encourage people not to do Getty's dirty work.

S.G.

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 11:46:56 AM »
My recollection is that Getty did that very thing circa 2005 - 2007.

They changed their approach thereafter.  And they have covered their tracks at archive.org

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 12:33:15 PM »
If we could get any one of these people hit with HAN suits, to strike back, it would be great. I would be willing to do some spec work  putting together evidence for a counter-suit on deferral for them. I have a strong enough indication that HAN knows damn well that the defendant did not remove the copyright symbol and claiming that they did is an outright lie. I'd like to get to the bottom of who uploaded the images to these "Free Wallpaper" sites. You cannot claim to be the "exclusive representative" of an image AND allow the image to be uploaded to all of these sites. And if you are aware of these wallpaper sites, it is your duty to issue takedown notices.
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

Peeved

Michele Tylor is listed as owner of Hawaiian Landmark Images Inc. and also does business as as Kauai Photo And Art Tours with their website being http://www.hawaiianphotos.net/

Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/micheletylor

Why am I choosing to give Michele Tylor the not so distinct title of copyright troll? If you look at the latest complaints filed from Matlock Law Group on behalf of Glen Carner aka Hawaiian Art Network, representing Vincent K. Tylor ( or is it Vincent Scott Tylor?) you'll notice that the copyright registrations are seemingly handled by Michele Tylor.. So with that little piece of information I can only assume that she is also a copyright troll by association, she is apparently a part of the grand scheme of seeding the internet with Vincent K Tylors images, entrapping poor unsuspecting users, that visit the hundreds of FREE wall paper sites and then attempting to extort crazy amounts of money..

It's really a shame that Matlock Law Group and these other copyright troll attorney's only see money signs and never seem to do any homework to see whom they are associating themselves with.

Just wanted to remind everyone of the thread where EVNL had dealings with HAN and Tylor's wife. The whole thread is worth re-visiting.....

http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/getty-images-letter-forum/free-baitpapers/60/

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.