Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Info on Woolf, Gafni and Fowler LLP  (Read 27406 times)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: Info on Woolf, Gafni and Fowler LLP
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 11:14:53 AM »
Dismissed without prejudice. So VKT can file again and Vermont Woods knows this.

Anyone can set up a PACER account to get access to case documents but since I already had it, I posted in on Scribd.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/232464471/Vincent-K-Tylor-vs-Vermont-Woods-Notice-of-Voluntary-Dismissal-Without-Prejudice

The document says it was VKT that initiated it. However, I am willing to bet that behind-the-scenes, the WGF lawyers had "influence" in this sudden about-face.

My guess is trying to collect their 40% was going to be too much work, hassle, and grind.  Vermont Woods put up too much of a fight for that go-around.

So I just got a notice that the VKT lawsuit filed against me by Adam Gafni of Woolf, Gafni and Fowler has been dismissed.

Pertinent questions: was this a voluntary dismissal (done by the plaintiff's counsel) or involuntary (done by the judge), and was it dismissed without prejudice (can be filed again) or dismissed with prejudice (over and done with for good)?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 03:33:55 AM by Matthew Chan »
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 11:38:19 AM »
As I have been saying for years, the technology revolution is decimating many in the various fields of the media industry.  Anyone in the content business, including myself, are not immune.

Those that don't "get it" and start changing the way they do business (and I don't mean threatening and suing everyone you can), are going to be put out of business, plain and simple.

Getty Images attempted to the stem of tide years ago by trying to buy up all the smaller stock photo businesses to prop up and control the stock photography business until they realized they couldn't buy fast enough and what they were buying were highly devaluing assets.

Getty has portfolios of photos that are probably worth less than 1/2 than what they bought them for 5 years ago.  So, they have resorted to consigning photos by squeezing the dog-shit out of blind photographers that are looking for a savior and desperate for anyone to sell their photos.

All but the best and business savvy photographers will survive, the rest of the photobugs will become simply become hobbyists claiming IRS write-offs.

There is just a glut of imagery today.  No one in their right minds would consider rights-managed photos.  Too much supply where a million-dollar business can legitimately buy and use a hundred royalty-free photos without any hassles and headaches.

After all, who wants the brain damage that goes along with the risk of getting extortion letters?

Kevin Sutherland has been a great example of how these guys talk a huge game, use extreme scare tactics, and even try to "reason" with people.  I hope people find the thread here and there as a future reference and learn not to be scared of all the hot air these types blow around.  He has absolutely nothing to say now that Peggy has reported the case dropped.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 01:06:37 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I'm working on a post to provide details.  Sorry for the delay... so much to catch up on... stuff I've neglected during these past few months of terror.  Will try to get a post out this weekend.  Thanks for your patience.
Definitely take a breather. Have a happy 4th!

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 08:03:07 PM »
Here are the court documents from my case:  VKT versus Vermont Woods Studios, including a draft motion to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction.  VKT is in Hawaii, my small business is in Vermont and VKT sued me in Northern California.  How does that make any sense?

It makes no sense, and would most likely have failed if they went forward.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 03:45:17 AM »
That didn't take long.  How much you want to bet they will take less "artistic license" on their list of attorneys?  We cannot wait to see the new website.  Let us see how they position the creation date of this website. 

It doesn't change the fact that they ran for an entire year misrepresenting the entire California legal community, Federal Court System, their clients, and adversaries with all the bogus documents they filed with the court system using the non-existent LLP. Any disgruntled client of WGF will have a legitimate reason to file bar complaints against those lawyers. They were solo lawyers PRETENDING to be a law firm!

I guess the new firm will be WGC now, not WGF.  According to the Google cache, it looks like it is Jason Cirlin who will be the new partner. However, he was listed as "of counsel" on the old website.

Jason N. Cirlin is Of Counsel at WGF.  Mr. Cirlin represents clients in a wide variety of general civil litigation matters.  Specifically, Mr. Cirlin practices in the areas of, among others, professional liability, products liability, construction defect, personal injury, intellectual property infringement, investor fraud, commercial and general civil litigation.  He works both with companies that are self-insured and with companies and their carriers.  Mr. Cirlin has saved his clients millions of dollars through favorable outcomes.

Mr. Cirlin graduated from the University of California, Los Angeles in 1999 and received his Juris Doctorate from Georgetown University Law Center in 2003.  He is admitted to practice law in state and Federal courts in both California and Nevada.

Additionally, Mr. Cirlin is conversant in Spanish and Hebrew.

Matthew, I noticed that WGF has changed their name and taken down their website.  It's looks like they're now Woolf, Gafni and Cirlin. http://www.wgfllp.com

Maybe you should send them a bill for all that research you did.  Clearly they took action on it.

lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 08:06:44 AM »
The old site seems to be restored. It says wolf-gafni-fowler.

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 08:52:39 PM »
Minus Jason Cirlin's bio/photo/profile....

The About page has this listed:

Contact the WGCLLP Los Angeles Office:
10850 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 510
Los Angeles, California 90024
Tel: (310) 867-2729
Fax: (310) 919-3037

There is definitely some identity confusion.  Just where is WGC going to be registered at? They are operating out of California and (I believe) required to register as a foreign corporation.

The old site seems to be restored. It says wolf-gafni-fowler.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 08:56:56 PM by Matthew Chan »

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.