Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Popular Local radio Station ~ HAN & VKT  (Read 7966 times)

Extortion-Victim-No Longer

• Fighting Extortion
    • View Profile
Popular Local radio Station ~ HAN & VKT
« on: January 28, 2012, 01:50:16 PM »
Same image used - town next door...I went to listen to my local popular radio station online a few days ago and to my surprise, well not really, the first thing I noticed was their use of one of VKT's images - promoting a win a trip to Hawaii contest...I then felt compelled to warn them that using one of VKT images (the same image I fell into the trap over) was probably not a wise move considering they probably had no idea...I showed them a copy of my demand letter & they took down the image the same day, even though they were under the impression that they could use it...The letter shocked them so much so that they decided not to use an image at all!
Kim

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
Re: Popular Local radio Station ~ HAN & VKT
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 01:58:14 PM »
Would be GREAT if they could do the community a solid and have their news department follow up and report on it. Maybe you could ask them? There are plenty of people that would be happy to talk to them. I'm also pretty sure you could get someone from HAN to share their side of the story.
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

Peeved

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 02:17:16 PM »
Would be GREAT if they could do the community a solid and have their news department follow up and report on it. Maybe you could ask them? There are plenty of people that would be happy to talk to them. I'm also pretty sure you could get someone from HAN to share their side of the story.

I was thinking the same thing. A story would be great!

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 02:23:11 PM »
I would definately approach them and thier news dept. about this!
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

• Fighting Extortion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 02:23:55 PM »
No doubt! I'm surprised they didn't already ask me but then again I spoke with the webmaster of their website...It just goes to show you that VKT's images are mistakenly being used all over the globe. I highly doubt our successful local radio station would have willingly infringed. Also, they hired someone to do up the "win a free trip to Hawaii' photo. Think twice when hiring outside help for your website requirements.
Kim

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 04:59:07 PM »
So much "win" detected....

S.G.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 09:32:07 PM »
Good job in helping them avoid become another HAN / VKT victim.  They really should have done something nice for you. It could have become very inconvenient for them.

Same image used - town next door...I went to listen to my local popular radio station online a few days ago and to my surprise, well not really, the first thing I noticed was their use of one of VKT's images - promoting a win a trip to Hawaii contest...I then felt compelled to warn them that using one of VKT images (the same image I fell into the trap over) was probably not a wise move considering they probably had no idea...I showed them a copy of my demand letter & they took down the image the same day, even though they were under the impression that they could use it...The letter shocked them so much so that they decided not to use an image at all!
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

• Fighting Extortion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 02:48:57 PM »
That is exactly why I bothered! To stop them from abusing another person...Over the phone, I could tell whomever I spoke with that he must of thought I was a 'space case' throwing around words like extortion... but when I provided him proof, he was pretty quick to thank me. It's not the first time I've seen that same Hawaiian lagoon  photo on someone else's website either.
Kim

Peeved

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 03:25:35 PM »
Happen to agree with Matt.......very COOL of you to warn them.

;)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 03:39:35 PM »
Touche'.  You are absolutely right. You could have spoken about it until you were blue in the face and they probably still would not have understood. But simply faxing/emailing that letter spoke volumes. Good call.

That is exactly why I tell people to share their stories and their letters.  They can try to fight, complain, explain, etc. but it seems like anyone has to courage to "come out" and openly tell the world what is going on, the would-be extortionist slinks off quietly.

With more exposure comes more scrutiny.  It is easy to get threaten from within the shadows.  Not so easy in the bright light of day.

That is exactly why I bothered! To stop them from abusing another person...Over the phone, I could tell whomever I spoke with that he must of thought I was a 'space case' throwing around words like extortion... but when I provided him proof, he was pretty quick to thank me. It's not the first time I've seen that same Hawaiian lagoon  photo on someone else's website either.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 07:28:15 PM »
Thats really the purpose of this site to expose whats going on , share information and help the unknowing who get caught up in this situation.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.