Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Vincent K. Tylor Affidavit for Hawaiian Art Network to Enforce Copyrights  (Read 8102 times)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Here is a copy of Vincent K. Tylor's Affidavit signed in September 14, 2010 for Hawaiian Art Network to enforce copyrights on his behalf.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/95094512/Vincent-K-Tylor-Affidavit-for-Hawaiian-Art-Network

However, I do not see this affidavit as giving Copyright Services International LLC, an entirely different legal entity, similar rights.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 08:16:25 PM by Matthew Chan »
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
Probably two registrations in bulk, registered in '09.
One is titled "VA0001696555: Hawaii 2000" and "VA0001696552: Hawaii 2004".

I can find 5 entries total under his name:
Hawaii 2000, Hawaii 2004, Honolua Bay, O-01 Waikiki-Pink boat ORIGINAL VERSION., and Waikiki Day 2003 O-15-C.

S.G.

Moe Hacken

• We have not yet begun to hack
    • View Profile
Yes, S.G., I posted the contents of the registration for VA00016196555 Hawaii 2000 the other day. Those are exactly the five works that come up under the 3 names he's using in the database. Two of the listings appear to be for collections, as in bulk registrations, and the other 3 are apparently single images. Still, I don't understand how one is supposed to verify that any single image is part of a bulk registration. Am I missing something in the database search that would provide specific details about each image under a number?

One of the issues that appears to be important is whether or not ALL the images in the collection have been published. Yet one would need a detailed list of each specific image with publications dates. So how is one supposed to get that, does anyone know?
I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
My understanding is that there's usually a disc submitted with the registration.
I know this because another poster on the forum was seeking info on masterfile registrations, and the disc at the copyright office was old and unreadable.
I may be incorrect, but I think that you have to go to the copyright office "in person" and pay a fee to get a copy of such materials.

In the unlikely event that a person is sued, he/she may request such information (as part of "discovery") such as an actual inventory of the images, the images themselves and the dates of publication/ non-publication, etc.
It's very difficult for a plaintiff to get around such a request.  If the information isn't provided, or it's faulty, then the plaintiff's case could be severely weakened (i.e. they can't prove their case).

S.G.

Moe Hacken

• We have not yet begun to hack
    • View Profile
Thanks, S.G. Your insights are helpful. Maybe I should give the Copyright Office a call and find out how hard it is to get the specific information on any such bulk registration.

Part of what I want to know is how hard is it to do the research that they expect you to do to verify ownership of an image. If they're interested in protecting their IP, then you would think they'd try as hard as possible to make it easy to verify they own an image.
I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
They don't want you to know for sure.
Copyright trolls often have no registrations, or faulty registrations.
But, the uncertainty makes some people pay out of fear.

Here's the thread about the corrupted masterfile discs:
http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/getty-images-letter-forum/many-of-masterfile-cd's-with-images-at-us-library-of-congress-are-corrupted/

Perhaps, they'd be stored at the library of congress?
http://www.loc.gov/rr/

More info from this Wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Catalog

Nature of catalog entries and access to copies of documents

The Catalog of Copyright Entries, the Copyright Card Catalog, and the online files are indexes, not reproductions of original documents.
To view or copy the original documents yourself, you must visit the Copyright Office.
Information such as registration numbers may be obtained from these files.
Providing this information yourself rather than paying a fee to have the Office search for it will reduce the cost of obtaining records and copies from the Copyright Office.

S.G.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 12:42:14 AM by SoylentGreen »

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.