Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: What is Glen Carner's Official Position on Vincent K. Tylor?  (Read 23742 times)

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
Re: What is Glen Carner's Official Position on Vincent K. Tylor?
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2012, 01:04:25 PM »
Where is Glen Carner? He promised to participate on these forums DAILY and address questions such as this. I know there was talk about banning him (or charging him to post). But my understanding was that there was a stay of execution offered. I expected he would take advantage of this time to answer questions such as those asked by Activated.
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

Moe Hacken

• We have not yet begun to hack
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2012, 06:40:32 PM »
McFilms, he must be busy hanging wallpaper on a federal courthouse.  :P
I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2012, 09:06:52 PM »
Funny, I thought about asking you where he was at. He was given until June 30, 2012 to keep posting. I figured that would be more than enough time. However, he might be put off by the fact he was given a time limit.

Whatever his reasons, if he disappears on his own, that is fine by me. However, he still has plenty of time to say what he needs to say.

Where is Glen Carner? He promised to participate on these forums DAILY and address questions such as this. I know there was talk about banning him (or charging him to post). But my understanding was that there was a stay of execution offered. I expected he would take advantage of this time to answer questions such as those asked by Activated.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Dee

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2012, 03:17:35 AM »
I posted some emails here between myself and VKT that are contrary to what he is saying here.

1- VKT said he was going after everyone who used his image, even if its a student blog. 
2- He also admitted that he knew the company he was supplying his images to were using them for wall paper and admitted that he continues to supply his images to them.  Why would he do this if he is trying to stop the sharing??
3 - I asked him why he didn't do a better job protecting his images online, as a webmaster I gave him a list of things he could do.  He told me he was in the process of doing those things, but to date nothing has changed.  He also told me that making his images smaller would hurt sales, as people like to see them big and he shouldn't have to make them smaller, people should stop stealing.
4 - He admitted going after Dollar Rent a car for 5 figures for a full page ad and I know some other figures he has pursued.  In some cases the use is the same, but the price varies from $3000 to $30,000?  The only difference is who used it.  He changes the price, not how the image was used, but who is using it (how much money they have) If he was fairly recovering, he would have a consistent price structure based on usage.
5 - I gave his attorney 5 sites located in the US that were the major sources of his images and I believe I even gave him the hosts information.  These images were never removed.  It is very easy to do takedowns in the US.  TOO easy.  In fact people can take your site down just by claiming you infringed, with no proof even.  Godaddy doesn't even verify, they just suspend the server. 
6 - Lanikai Girl, one of the more popular images being used,  is still showing top in the searches.  Google will take the images out of the searches if you file that it is infringing, even if you can't get it off the source.  I have done this.  It takes a few weeks.  This image still remains in top position.

As much time has passed, they have had more than enough time to make a difference if they were in fact, trying to stop the downloading.  I don't buy it for these reasons. 

BTW, I contacted one of the sites carrying his images which is located in the US. The site owner told me he only puts up images that are given to him by the owners with permission, otherwise, his site would be taken down all the time.  I asked him if he could provide us with some kind of information on the source of VKTs pictures. I showed him this forum and explained the issue, that we are trying to research if the images are being seeded.  The site owner understood and said he is checking with his attorney to see if he can share this information.  He has some kind of form they fill out and attaches images to, and he tracks IPS and does a confirmation.  (not sure if this is something in writing or not).  Anyway, I am hoping he will provide us with the information because obviously if it shows the images came from VKT then it proves the claims.  And if it didn't then he knows to take the image down, and fix his system.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2012, 06:46:14 AM »
Dee,

It looks like you have been doing your share of investigative reporting. Very interesting but not entirely surprising. You have only confirmed our ongoing suspicions.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Moe Hacken

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2012, 09:48:17 AM »
Great work, Dee. I couldn't agree more about VKT's negligence with his images. He may be guilty of abandoning his copyright or sleeping on his right to enforce his copyright, especially for the ridiculous sums he is asking. As you say, the amounts he claims are based on the client's estimated ability to pay, not on any kind of a fair usage scale.

Even while going through a case the man is busy registering images with the US Copyright Office. Just last June 4, VKT registered an image titled "Big Island Coastline - B-22" which he claims is from 2003. What's interesting about this image is that it does NOT appear to be a baitpaper image at all. In fact, there is a very short list of images that match it on a Google images search.

http://www.hawaiipictures.com/picture_detail/99999-411/

I bet this image is going to be used for a claim soon. There is actually a short list of websites that appear to be infringing on this image.

Why else would VKT suddenly run to the copyright office and register a 9-year-old image? With this image, the defendants won't have the baitpaper defense because it's not out there as bait.

Here's the registration info for that image:

Type of Work: Visual Material
Registration Number / Date: VA0001821752 / 2012-06-04
Application Title: Big Island Coastline - B-22.
Title: Big Island Coastline - B-22.
Description: Electronic file (eService)
Copyright Claimant: Vincent Khoury Tylor, 1962- . Address: P.O. Box 510164, Kealia, HI, 96751, United States.
Date of Creation: 2003
Date of Publication: 2003-08-31
Nation of First Publication: United States
Authorship on Application: Vincent Khoury Tylor, 1962- ; Domicile: United States; Citizenship: United States. Authorship: photograph(s)
Alternative Title on Application: 1 Photograph Published on Aug. 31, 2003
Rights and Permissions: Vincent Khoury Tylor, P.O. Box 510164, Kealia, HI, 96751, United States, (808) 823-1263, vince@hawaiianphotos.net
Names: Tylor, Vincent Khoury, 1962-

Dee, I wanted to mention that I also approached a webmaster from one of the numerous baitpaper sites by asking them if they were aware that the images they were offering as free wallpaper were copyright infringements. The webmaster did not know since a "guest blogger" put up the images as a post on their blog. The webmaster was suspicious of my approach; he thought I was selling something or scamming. I told him I just wanted to warn him that he was violating someone's copyright and that he was also seeding for the copyright owners (HAN/VKT), who go around making extortionate claims for using those images.

I guess he eventually believed me. First he took the images down, then later he took the whole post down. I have to assume they did not realize what was going on and thought the post was "fair use". At least in this case I don't believe they were intentionally seeding the images, but I did not communicate with the person who actually posted the images on that blog.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 10:13:26 AM by Moe Hacken »

Moe Hacken

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
By the way, Dee, I do have a quick question: Which company did VKT supply images to that distributed them as wallpaper? You mention this on item 2 of your post.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2012, 05:06:38 PM »
I wonder if Vincent k Tylor is teaching his son the ways of sending extortion letters?
http://www.scottephotos.com/
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2012, 08:39:10 PM »
You're right peeved I think that does apply and you have a great memory I had forgotten about that one ;D
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Moe Hacken

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2012, 09:07:41 PM »
I wonder if Vincent k Tylor is teaching his son the ways of sending extortion letters?
http://www.scottephotos.com/

Well, not unlike his father, his work is on Webshots:

http://www.webshots.com/pro/photo/3275662?path=/travel-north-america-united-states-hawaii-oahu

And not unlike his father, his work is on baitpaper sites, albeit not as many:

http://photosunion.com/photos/Makapuu-Overlook-Oahu-Hawaii/

There's kind of a pattern here, isn't there?

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.