Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Email from Matthew Higbee himself  (Read 10250 times)

ccmike

• View Profile
Email from Matthew Higbee himself
« on: February 14, 2019, 09:07:44 PM »
Just received an email from Matthew Higbee. Is this normal for them? I haven’t read anywhere that Matthew Higbee takes the time to email people. Not sure what to think of it. Thoughts anyone?

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: Email from Matthew Higbee himself
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 01:28:12 AM »
Yes, it seems unusual that Mr. Higbee himself would email anyone directly on a lower level matter. I have not heard that. I mostly hear it is his subordinate clerks/paralegals or perhaps one of his associate lawyers that contact people.  What did he email you?

Just received an email from Matthew Higbee. Is this normal for them? I haven’t read anywhere that Matthew Higbee takes the time to email people. Not sure what to think of it. Thoughts anyone?
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

ccmike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 08:26:20 AM »
Hi Matthew. Mr. Higbee sent the following:

Pastor Spaulding-

Your understanding of the Fair Use Doctrine and DMCA protections are misguided.    Do you have an attorney in your congregation that can assist you with this matter?

Or perhaps I an suggest some references as to what is covered by fair use: 

https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/what-is-fair-use/

I will be glad to present a reasonable offer to my client.  However, I cannot go back to them and ask them to close the claim based on faulty fair use arguments.   You used their work without a license and they deserve to be compensated.     I would be glad to discuss this with you on the phone if you like.

Best regards,

-Mat
Mathew K. Higbee
Attorney at Law

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 10:51:37 AM »
my guess is " I will be glad to present a reasonable offer to my client." won't be anything close to "reasonable"...it's all about the money... I strongly suggest you read the latest blog post that was recently posted by Levy on the Higbee issues..before doing anything else, or communicating with them.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Ethan Seven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 02:43:37 PM »
A pastor of a church accused.   That is an interesting twist. 
Even if I am a lawyer, I am not your lawyer.  Copyright matters can have serious consequences.  If you have assets worth protecting, consult a lawyer who is familiar with copyright law and who can review the facts of your case. If you cannot afford one, call your state or county bar association.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.