Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Got my harassment letter. Image. Finding info scattered here.  (Read 5336 times)

tdellaringa

• View Profile
Watched the initial video, have been reading through the threads here. I'm likely going to do the 30-minute call, as I am finding the threads here not all that helpful. Lots of repeated base info and "inform yourself" calls to action. I see the interview videos, but they seem old - not sure how current they are.

I have some high level questions that maybe can be answered and might help others:

1. What is the likelihood if these things going to actual court? (Maybe it's a case by case thing?)
2. Are they generally open to small settlements?
3. Don't they have to inform me of the infringing item first before suing me? The first contact from them was the demand for money.

In my case, it was an editorial cartoon from Cartoon Stock LTD. They are asking $660 and threatening a lot more, which seems to be standard op.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: Got my harassment letter. Image. Finding info scattered here.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 12:52:49 PM »
Unfortunate that you don't find these threads helpful, there is nearly 10 yrs worth of information compiled in these forums, most questions including "high level" questions have been answered numerous times, if one takes the time to wade through the info freely given. Yes the video are old but mostly still relevant, the trolling industry hasn't changed much, but the players certainly have.. We suggest everyone get educated, as each scenario is different, if you are looking for  a magic solution, there is none short of paying the demand. To answer your questions:

1. yup it's a case by case thing, largely depending on who sends the letter, some trolls are more combative and assertive than others, there is always the risk of a lawsuit, the recipient (you) needs to determine the risk level and if you can tolerate 3 yrs of BS harassment in the hopes you don't get served.

2. again they all operate differently, but everyone "pays" something, whether it be money, time & energy, or waiting out the unknown until the statute runs out.

3. nope they don't have to inform you beforehand, that's a common courtesy that most trolls don't possess, they are in it for the money, that is all.. And they haven't sued you yet, they have simply sent you a demand letter..

For whats it worth, I would venture to guess they won't file a lawsuit here, they are only demanding 660.00 which is nearly the cost to file a lawsuit in Federal court, add to that,  that I've never heard of cartoon stock, perhaps they are a new player or just not very aggressive..

Here is a thread here regarding cartoon stock, I see they are located in the UK, which brings down the odds of a lawsuit being filed, do you really think they will travel across the pond, hire US lawyers, for a case that would likely not show a profit? doubtful

https://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/getty-images-letter-forum/sued-by-cartoon-stock-for-one-image-on-website-but-variation-of-theirs/

As stated above each case is different, and only you can decide how to proceed, the more you know the better armed you are.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

tdellaringa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 06:35:53 PM »
Thank you for the answer. I guess I need to read more, and I will. Appreciate your time.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 10:32:10 PM »
My answers inline...

I have some high level questions that maybe can be answered and might help others:

1. What is the likelihood if these things going to actual court? (Maybe it's a case by case thing?)

Generally, very low. Lawsuits are very rare.  But there are a few exceptions and factors that could increase the likelihood.

2. Are they generally open to small settlements?

It depends what you consider "small" and who is offering the settlement.

3. Don't they have to inform me of the infringing item first before suing me? The first contact from them was the demand for money.

No one has to inform you of anything.

I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

moomelman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 06:39:20 PM »
Hi - I too got a email today (not a letter) which seems very strange. First I am a Webmaster who used a temp domain (its not even live and is set to not be indexed by Google) - somehow one of their bots trolls found an image from one of my clients I worked with some time back. Because the site has never been operational, the only way they found the offending image is though some kind of scanning mechanism.  Anyways I was on the phone with them today and lost my top big time. I called them evil and that is what they are.  To me its just not right that they are asking for money to settle it - taking advantage of those who may be in tiny companies like mine. They want me to write that $1700 check so bad.  They hung up on me too. It's just not right, and now I am worried I'll have to deal with them in the future. How can little guys like me fight back? The system feels so corrupt and broken. Maybe its always been this way.

UnfairlyTargeted

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 07:14:33 AM »
Who is the "photographer"?  Can you find information on him that indicates he's another of the class I'm seeing so many of whose work isn't actually salable?  So the only way he can make money from his images is to extort small businesses like yours?

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.