Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: New Higbee & Associates Letter on Behalf of Adlife Marketing (food images)!  (Read 14347 times)

Blurg78

• View Profile
I've read quite a bit on here and I guess the takeaway is it's just up to my risk tolerance so I'm still not sure what to do. I'm unnerved by them just reneging on their last offer a couple days after making it. How do you negotiate with people who are irrational? It seems unlikely they'd sue but if they're crazy who knows? Has anyone settled with higbee/adlife for a not gigantic amount?

From what you described it looks like Higbee is not coordinating their own personnel.  You're just a case number to them to see if your gulible enough to pay.  Get educated on how the scam works by reading this forum.  A lot of good stuff here.  Sit tight, document everything and learn.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
I am confused. If you have a lawyer, why are they not handling this for you?

The key to getting a lower settlement amount is if they think they won't get anything from you or if they think you are "small". Hence someone is going to have explain and negotiate with them.  The more they feel you want the settlement, the less likely they will go down in the settlement amount.

At some point, you will have to make a stand and give a "final offer". And if you are unwilling to do that and you are "flexible", then it is likely they will sense that and hold their ground. After all, they have 3 years to work on you.

The people who do best financially are generally the ones who have the most staying power and commitment. Lawsuits don't mean anything if they are not collectible. And if you honestly don't think they have a case, that is your opinion. You should explain it to them and pay nothing.

I've received a series of letters and calls to my lawyer from an underling at higbee on behalf of ad life. They started at 8000, came as low as 500 and suddenly a different person wrote who seemed to not know about any of the previous calls and effectively rescinded the 500 and went back to 2000. I don't think they have a case but they're clearly not negotiating in good faith and I obviously want to avoid a lawsuit. Anyone have advice on how much they had to pay to make these people go away? I'm not a business, just a former blogger. Advice much appreciated!
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
If you expect a Step 1, Step 2, Step 3, to get a magical number you like, it won't happen because that is not how it works.  This is the art of negotiation and playing chicken.  They want your money. You want them to go away. Somewhere in between is the settlement.

The people with the least patience and the least risk tolerance are the ones who pay the most. You think they are irrational. They aren't.  They just know that most people are legally ignorant and most people are easily intimidated. I am not saying you should be fearless or acknowledge the small possibility of a lawsuit.

But your mindset is what is hurting you. You don't really "get it" yet.  And there are some people who pay ZERO. You won't like the answer but for some, they really don't have the money and the only option they have is to go dark.  And those are the people who often get the best deals, the ones who have no choice but to hide out.

I am not saying you should do that but there is a wide spectrum of behavior by victims. We try to help people think outside of the box and get them educated on the intimidation tactics as well as the facts.

I've read quite a bit on here and I guess the takeaway is it's just up to my risk tolerance so I'm still not sure what to do. I'm unnerved by them just reneging on their last offer a couple days after making it. How do you negotiate with people who are irrational? It seems unlikely they'd sue but if they're crazy who knows? Has anyone settled with higbee/adlife for a not gigantic amount?

I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.