Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Techdirt: Stupid Law Firm Threatens Something Awful Over Hot-Linked Hitler Pic  (Read 7616 times)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
I stumbled across this Techdirt article from October 2018. It is about the Higbee law firm issuing a letter to Something Awful owner, Rich Kyanka, over a hot-linked Christopher Sadowski image that was uploaded by another party, not the letter recipient. What is included are the colorful responses of Mr. Kyanka.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20181008/22025640795/stupid-law-firm-decides-to-threaten-something-awful-over-hot-linked-hitler-picture.shtml

The way the guy responded to Higbee law firm is funny and eye-popping. People know I can be outspoken and I have used my share of 4-letter words as I deemed fit but I don't hold a candle to Mr. Kyanka. 

The source article is here:
https://www.somethingawful.com/news/higbee-hitler/1/

A big takeaway is not to fall for the BS argument that you infringed if you hot-linked an image. You can. However, I don't recommend it simply because of the time-suck involved in an altercation like this. But that doesn't mean you cannot do an image-hotlink if you really want to.

However, if you read Higbee's employee's response, it is clear some of them are really clueless. If they even had paralegal training, I would be shocked. To her credit, she was pretty calm overall if terribly offbase.

The owner of Something Awful stood his ground and played other cards (albeit in a more flamboyant way than I would advise) in his responses.  There is something to be said for the "little guy" telling a misinformed person to piss off. It just so happens, he knew his shit too. He was on solid ground. Good on him, I say.

On a side note, according to LinkedIn, the Higbee employee named by Mr. Kyanka left the Higbee law firm in Dec. 2018, less than 2 months later after that incident. Probably a coincidence. She lasted barely a year at the Higbee Law firm.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 02:53:13 PM by Matthew Chan »
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
I think i want to hug this guy!!!!
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

clist

• On your side
    • View Profile
I almost died right here. LMAO!!!

"CEO and now also PRESIDENT of internet"
Knowledge isn't free - you have to pay attention.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.