Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Article: Copyright Law and the Restoration of Beauty - DAVID NIMMER  (Read 4230 times)

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
I recently came across an interesting excerpt by David Nimmer, who's written some respected books on copyright.

He makes a "distinction between claims intended to vindicate the expressive aspects of a copyrightable work, and those in which the copyright happens to be incidental to the complaint".
It speaks of some Canadian cases, but it also has a worldwide perspective.

In addition, there's some real gems in there: 'The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Turner Broadcasting testified that VCRs which allow ad skipping amount to “theft,” gilding that thought with the pronouncement that: “Any time you skip a commercial … you’re actually stealing the programming.” When the interviewer inquired, “What if you have to go to the bathroom or get up and get a Coke?” the grudging concession emerged: “I guess there’s a certain amount of tolerance for going to the bathroom.”

http://ohlj.ca/english/documents/4-47_3_Nimmer_FINAL.pdf

S.G.

Bekka

• View Profile
Re: Article: Copyright Law and the Restoration of Beauty - DAVID NIMMER
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 08:57:03 PM »
On occasion, I might see an advertisement worth watching, but I am sick and tired of the legal drug pushing that seems to dominate every TV ad in America today.  So until they can advertise something of real value or a funny "gotcha" ad, I will continue to skip them and use them as bathroom and refreshment breaks.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.