Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Buzzfeed Faces $3.6 Million Lawsuit for Copyright Infringement  (Read 5052 times)

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
It seems like all of those llama slideshows might be coming back to bite BuzzFeed.
The website, which is known for aggregating images from other sources, is being sued by a professional photographer whose photo was used in a typical BuzzFeed post called “The 30 Funniest Header Faces.”
The Guardian:
His picture of a grimacing player was removed from the article – now titled “The 29 Funniest Header Faces” – after he made an initial complaint in May 2011.
But in a lawsuit filed in New York, Eiselein accused Buzzfeed of “direct and contributory infringement” and claims he is owed $3.6m after his work was shared widely across the web.

http://spectator.org/blog/2013/06/18/buzzfeed-faces-36-million-laws
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

lucia

• View Profile
Re: Buzzfeed Faces $3.6 Million Lawsuit for Copyright Infringement
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 10:52:35 PM »
On the one hand, $3.6 million is ridiculous. On the other hand, Buzzfeed's business model is copyright violation.  So, I don't have much sympathy for them. It will be interesting to see how this goes.

DavidVGoliath

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 07:29:40 AM »
On the one hand, $3.6 million is ridiculous. On the other hand, Buzzfeed's business model is copyright violation.  So, I don't have much sympathy for them. It will be interesting to see how this goes.

I don't think the photographer or attorney expect to net $3.6m in damages... however, much like any damages related lawsuit, the "form" is to go in with a high number and see what the courts think in terms of validity of claim.

I'm also 100% with Lucia on the business model of buzzfeed.com and similar sites - they only exist because they appropriate and redistribute the work of others and hope that they're assess are covered by DMCA and fair use exceptions, whilst earning a bucket of advertising revenue in the process.

I'll be watching the outcome of this suit very closely.

DavidVGoliath

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 08:10:03 AM »
Oh dear, I've just noticed that the photographer filed suit as a pro se litigant.

/facepalm/

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 06:27:17 AM »
EFF has writtern a great article, as to why this case will not succeed...it will probably end before it begins..

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/06/buzzfeed-faces-36-million-copyright-suit-not-so-much
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 12:19:01 PM by Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi) »
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 09:09:17 AM »
My guess is that if this guy was ever serious, he would have an attorney leading the charge.  This had to be done for the publicity - or the guy made a huge error in judgement.

DavidVGoliath

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 10:54:50 AM »
This had to be done for the publicity - or the guy made a huge error in judgement.

I'm going to go with the latter. I'm sure that buzzfeed.com will piss someone off soon enough whom actually has all their ducks in a row with regards to timely and correct registration of their own works  but, for now... yeah, this isn't going to get very far.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.