Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Copytrack email and letter  (Read 5909 times)

Leicestercity

• View Profile
Copytrack email and letter
« on: December 30, 2017, 09:25:12 AM »
I received a email and now a letter threatening me about a picture my web designer put on my website
I have since asked my web designer to remove all images from my website which he has done
I’m now very concerned at what copytrack will do and if I have to pay
I have not responded yet and really don’t know what to do
I’m based in the uk and see copytrack is German

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
Re: Copytrack email and letter
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 01:59:11 PM »
I received a email and now a letter threatening me about a picture my web designer put on my website
I have since asked my web designer to remove all images from my website which he has done
I’m now very concerned at what copytrack will do and if I have to pay
I have not responded yet and really don’t know what to do
I’m based in the uk and see copytrack is German

Welcome to the forums Leicestercity.  We have seen several people rececently who have received letters from Copytrack.  You can read some of it here:

http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/getty-images-letter-forum/copytrack-extorsion-letter/

From what I have seen they appear to be much like Getty Images in they send a lot of letters  and try to frighten people into paying but don't actually sue people.  I would recommed  reading and educationg yourself, there is a lot of good information here.  I am not as fimiliar with UK law as I am with the copyright law in the US but if the image(s) have been removed I don't think you have a lot to worry about. 

Have you asked your web designer if he had a liscense for the image and if so can he provide you with a copy of it?
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Leicestercity

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 04:01:06 PM »
I’ve contacted him and he removed the images but sounds like he never had a licence for them
It was a picture of a wheelie bin
I wouldn’t object paying the owner but not a company out to fleece me of my money
Should I just ignore all correspondence

MC2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 06:49:39 PM »
And a wheelie bin is exactly where you should put the letters. This is a nasty company that attempts to extort money from people by frightening them. Don't engage with them. They will send you a few letters, each one more nasty, and then they will give up. They have to prove you used the image illegally and if you don't engage with them they can't. They really are slimy creeps.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 03:31:48 PM »
You have to decide on whatever is best for you, that being siad, if it were me I would not respond to them or pay them.  If you want, research the image and offer fair market value and when they refuse you can ignore them from that point on knowing you made a fair offer.

Your web designer should be stepping up and handleing this for you since they used an unlicensed image.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

MC2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 11:29:03 AM »
Today we received our fifth (or maybe sixth!) missive from Copytrack. This time it was sent on behalf of Copytrack from Credit Limits International (www.creditlimitsinternational.com) an international debt collection agency. We are continuing to ignore all letters about this issue. Copyright has supplied no proof of copyright ownership and cannot prove we were not sent the image by the same PR agency who sent us the copy for the article/promotion so they have a leg to stand on. Their letter is also addressed to the wrong company (they've sent it to the company that owns the web site domain but not the web site itself).

If they were that serious about collecting the money they'd have rung us by now.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 01:50:32 PM »
Not sure how it works in the U.K. but here we can simply tell them that this is a claim which I am disputing and not a debt.  At that point, you tell them not to call again or they will be reported to the FTC.

--Greg Troy

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.