Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Fair Use?  (Read 2992 times)

Mulligan

• View Profile
Fair Use?
« on: September 28, 2012, 11:44:34 AM »
Out of curiosity this morning I tracked down literally hundreds of uses of a single frame image lifted apparently from one of the Batman movies, and that tracking led me to this page...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bat-signal_1989_film.jpg

... where there's interesting reading material regarding fair use.

I may have been reading too quickly, but near as I can tell the above page gives no definitive answer as to whether an image taken from a single frame of a movie could be copyright troll material.

Thoughts on this?

Lettered

• View Profile
Re: Fair Use?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 12:37:16 PM »
The linked to page gives a reasonable assessment of the issue, I think.  It's not just the fact that it's a single frame out of a movie that makes it fair use (although that's probably part of it).  Rather it's the entirety of all of the elements of the usage (non-profit, critical commentary, web resolution, etc) that make it fair use.  That's my take on it anyway.

So, in my opinion, a single frame taken from a movie (under the right circumstances) could not only be "troll material", it could also be legitimate grounds for a legitimate infringement lawsuit.  For example if you made posters from a single frame of a copyrighted movie and sold them over the internet; that would be grounds for a legitimate infringement lawsuit, in my opinion.

Out of curiosity this morning I tracked down literally hundreds of uses of a single frame image lifted apparently from one of the Batman movies, and that tracking led me to this page...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bat-signal_1989_film.jpg

... where there's interesting reading material regarding fair use.

I may have been reading too quickly, but near as I can tell the above page gives no definitive answer as to whether an image taken from a single frame of a movie could be copyright troll material.

Thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 12:41:37 PM by Lettered »

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.