Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Got an extortion letter from Masterfile  (Read 5317 times)

lapreuett

• View Profile
Got an extortion letter from Masterfile
« on: September 30, 2016, 05:26:21 PM »
Hi! A couple of weeks ago I received a registered letter from Masterfile saying I had used a copyrighted image on my blog. The image was viewed by about 60 people over the course of a few days. My blog did not contain any type of advertisements at that time. The letter stated that I owe them $1170 for the use of their image. When I did a search for the image, another person's website came up and the image had nothing to indicate it was copyrighted. After getting the letter from Masterfile, I looked up the said image on their site. To use the image for the amount of time I had it on my blog, it would come to around $300. I had no idea the image was copyrighted and I am reading online how Masterfile goes after people just to get money. I have not responded to them and am wondering what my next step should be? I am seeing multiple cases on here from years ago and wondering what the outcome of those cases were. Please help!!

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: Got an extortion letter from Masterfile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 07:27:17 PM »
MF does file suit, and they generally have their ducks in a row...that being said, they also know you got the letter if it was registered. Claiming you did not know it was copyrighted won't work with them, and claiming the site had only 60 views with no ads, won't much matter either... My guess is they will hound you..only you can decide to engage them, and maybe get them to lower the price, or totally ignore it and roll the dice as it were.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.