Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Houston home builder for celebrities wins $1.3M copyright suit  (Read 3496 times)

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
A federal district court has awarded $1.3 million to a Texas design firm in an architectural copyright case, according to Houston law firm Osha Liang.

In the lawsuit, Hewlett Custom Home Designs of Houston claimed that Frontier Custom Builders, Inc. infringed Hewlett's copyrighted designs in violation of federal law. Hewlett's clients include Fortune 500 executives as well as celebrities such as retired NBA star Charles Barkley, now an analyst with TNT's Inside the NBA.

A jury in U.S. District Judge Ewing Werlein Jr.'s courtroom on May 9 found that Frontier committed copyright infringement by constructing and marketing 19 houses that infringed Hewlett's copyrighted designs. Frontier's owner, Ronald Wayne Bopp, was also held personally liable for Frontier's activities.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-home-builder-for-celebrities-wins-1-3M-4539979.php
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Mulligan

• View Profile
Re: Houston home builder for celebrities wins $1.3M copyright suit
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 03:29:34 PM »
Let's see... 19 into $1.3 million equals $68,421 infringement penalty for each house built.

And that seems appropriate for this kind of egregious and serious violation of copyright.

On the other hand, when one's considering photographic images posted on inner pages of Mom and Pop websites...

A thumbnail on an inner page of a website getting 67 unique visitors a month, let's generously say, might be perhaps worth 1/100,000 the value of a copyrighted architectural plan.

So that thumbnail image using the terms of this particular judgment would be equivalently worth around 68 cents. Unless, perhaps, it was an exclusive picture of the Pope exorcising a demon from a Seattle lawyer and then it might be worth $1.25.

Now, how much moola are Getty, the copyright trolls, and the various individual speculative invoicers demanding per image these days?

I think in Getty's case it's around $800 for a thumbnail? And when "escalated" to McCormack Law the price (at least in my experience) triples.

I guess some cynics would say it's painfully obvious why so many companies and greedy individuals spend so much time sending out settlement demand letters.

Peeved

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 03:41:35 PM »
I guess some cynics would say it's painfully obvious why so many companies and greedy individuals spend so much time sending out settlement demand letters.

Also equally obvious would be why there is/was much "FREE SPEECH" in the form of humor, parody, as well as disdain for such a "business" and/or "individuals".

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 10:07:28 PM »
There is a lot of this that happens in the building industry.  Back when I worked in new construction I would go into a home and recognize it as a home built by builder A only to find out the builder B saw how well it was selling and magically came up with the exact same plan. 
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.