Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Calling on Congress: Time to Fix Copyright  (Read 6586 times)

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
Calling on Congress: Time to Fix Copyright
« on: December 13, 2012, 04:46:20 PM »
I found a great article over on the EFF website. The EFF wants Congress to review the current copyright law is and make changes to it and it looks like a report was issued by the Republican study committee which was quashed and withdrawn due to pressure from the copyright industry.

Last month, when Derek Khanna—a staffer for an influential policy group called the Republican Study Committee (RSC)—put forward a report busting some persistent myths about copyright, he wasn't met with a real debate or with fact-checking. Within a day his employer, reportedly under pressure from legislators supported by major copyright industries, retracted the report. Within two weeks, Khanna was told he would no longer have a job with the RSC.

It is a very good article and I highly recommend reading it but it certainly shows we have a major uphill battle in our fight. The entire article may be read here:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/12/calling-congress-time-fix-copyright
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: Calling on Congress: Time to Fix Copyright
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 05:18:35 PM »
quashed due to "due to pressure from the copyright industry" meaning money coming in from PACA, Getty and the other asswipes...
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 09:10:24 PM »
Exactly  >:(

quashed due to "due to pressure from the copyright industry" meaning money coming in from PACA, Getty and the other asswipes...
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 08:57:35 AM »
Being the little guys in this fight, should we be asking for full fledged reforms or should we wage a large number of smaller battles attempting to change  one thing at a time (like the propensity for large firms to use copyright law as a business plan to extort money from individuals and small firms)?

I expect the latter, however I could be wrong.  I am apolitical.  To top that off, I have little experience in these types of workings.  What do you guys think?

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 04:40:48 PM »
I believe in keeping my eyes and ears open and seizing any opportunity that presents itself.  If I see that there is a hearing on one of these issues I have gathered quite a bit of information that I am prepared to have delivered which might help show what Getty and their ilk are doing with their business model.  I am not sure what I would/could if it is sweeping reform but if that were the case the EFF would most likely be involved and I would see about getting information to them or asking them what if anything they need to help them out.

There is a lot of really good information over at the EFF site, I highly recommend visiting there at least once a week, I stop by at least every other day.  www.eff.org

--Greg Troy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 04:49:10 PM »
freak..... ;D
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.

--Greg Troy

Peeved

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 10:43:24 PM »
Nice to see that Greg has a great sense of humor with regard to "Mr. Non-Credible"'s remark! (See change below avatar). Btw...I am officially protesting to the change!
 :P

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 06:17:25 AM »
Nice to see that Greg has a great sense of humor with regard to "Mr. Non-Credible"'s remark! (See change below avatar). Btw...I am officially protesting to the change!

Well aren't we observant....

Robert Krausankas

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 08:52:27 AM »
I second the protest.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 07:05:14 PM »
So now you're a bus driver (under Avatar)  Is this the bus you are going to use to back over Trolls with? ;D

@Peeved

I always try to have a sense of humor :D

Well aren't we observant....

--Greg Troy

Bekka

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 12:49:05 PM »
I wouldn't hold my breath!  Congress can't fix itself, so how can it possibly fix anything esle.  My personal opinion is the need for term limits, so they will not be beholden to the likes of Getty and other copyright lobbyists.  This goes for all other lobbyists as well.

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 10:47:11 AM »
I second that, Bekka.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.