Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Sconnie Nation: Sorry for partying not infringement!!  (Read 4865 times)

lucia

• View Profile
Sconnie Nation: Sorry for partying not infringement!!
« on: September 16, 2014, 09:38:24 AM »
Those familiar with the sorry for partying case:
Magistrate Judge Stephen Crocker also ruled the shirt was not an infringement because of the “transformative nature” of the work, according to Vosseller.

This should be a blow to Tim McCormack's theories of parody.

http://host.madison.com/daily-cardinal/copyright-infringement-charges-dropped-against-sconnie-nation-s-paul-soglin/article_1472c87e-3d50-11e4-8597-575eca5662cb.html

The ruling itself
http://fairuse.stanford.edu/case/kienitz-v-sconnie-nation-llc/

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 09:43:48 AM by lucia »

stinger

• View Profile
Re: Sconnie Nation: Sorry for partying not infringement!!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 11:45:21 AM »
This should make Timmy cringe and re-ignite the fires under all the meme'rs out there.

The appeal was struck down because the photo was posted on the mayor’s public website where it can be viewed and downloaded for free after Kienitz licensed the photo to Soglin without compensation, according to the 7th Circuit opinion.

lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 12:00:14 PM »
I posted more details at Robert's blog (where we can insert images etc.)
http://copyright-trolls.com/site/sorry-for-partying-but-we-arent-infringing/

Yes. The reasoning in this ruling pretty much takes apart many (as far as I know all) of McCormack's parody claims wtr to Robert. One might argue whether the amount of transformation is as great-- but really.... McCormack's claim is weak.

This is at a Circuit Court level-- so pretty high. Next step would be SCOTUS.  BTW: I'm in the 7th circuit, so it's the circuit that would hear cases if one were levied against me or those of us in Illinois.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 05:50:51 PM »
This should make Timmy cringe and re-ignite the fires under all the meme'rs out there.

Don't think for a minute, that I didn't see what you did right there...trying to bait me...shame on you..Thats it I'm leaving, going to play with photoshop!
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 07:44:35 PM »
Robert, I can't wait!

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.