Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: tattoos and copyright  (Read 3934 times)

Lettered

• View Profile
tattoos and copyright
« on: December 07, 2012, 09:08:05 AM »
http://copyfight.corante.com/archives/2005/02/17/tattoo_artist_sues_nba_star_for_copyright_infringement.php

This has me wondering about all of the Harley Davidson tattoos in the world.  For a lot of reasons, I wouldn't expect to ever see HD suing folks with their logo as a tattoo (hope Im not being naive), but where does all of this crap end? 

Do we honestly have to show up at the tattoo shop with a copyright release in hand now?  Is it really that bad?

Maybe the bulk of the professional legal community is content with all the chaos, uncertainty and ensuing potential legal fees being generated by our poorly thought out and poorly written copyright law ... so that it will never change?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 09:23:48 AM by Lettered »

Mulligan

• View Profile
Re: tattoos and copyright
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 09:45:50 AM »
http://copyfight.corante.com/archives/2005/02/17/tattoo_artist_sues_nba_star_for_copyright_infringement.php
Maybe the bulk of the professional legal community is content with all the chaos, uncertainty and ensuing potential legal fees being generated by our poorly thought out and poorly written copyright law ... so that it will never change?

Yep. It's always about the money. Always.

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 12:44:09 PM »
This reminds me of the Mike Tyson tattoo fiasco:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/05/infringing-tattoo/

The tattoo artist sued Warner Bros.

S.G.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 01:07:39 PM »
I seem to remember a while back Disney suing over tattoos of their characters on people, when I get home tonight I will see if I can look it up. Might not have been Disney but it was over animated characters.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 09:49:11 PM »
I was not able to find what I was looking for, the only thing I found was a reference to Warner Bros. going after tattoo artist who inked their Looney Tunes but it says they lost and I could not find these cases either.

I seem to remember a while back Disney suing over tattoos of their characters on people, when I get home tonight I will see if I can look it up. Might not have been Disney but it was over animated characters.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.