Retired Forums > Legal Controversies Forum

The Little Guy Wins!

(1/2) > >>

Bekka:
I realize this is not about images, but it is about patents and a big company going after small farmers.  The circumstances of useage regarding their patented product is pretty much accidental like most cases here, and Monsanto sees big money to be made.  While part of the ruling in this case remains questionable for future precedents, it is indeed nice to see David win against Goliath.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/12/25/percy-schmeiser-farmer-who-beat-monsanto.aspx?e_cid=20111225_SNL_Art_1

I hope we will see more victories where the little guy prevails!

Merry Christmas.
Bekka

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi):
Hi Bekka, good to see you here!...There are actually correlations between the farmers situation and HAN, if you read into  it like I do.. Tylors images "contaminating" wallpaper sites that offer free downloads, creative commons licenses, and code snippets to use. Innocent users grabbing these image and then being chased down with demand letters.. The question still remains as to what Hawaiian Art Network and V.K. Tylor or doing to clean this up..

Oscar Michelen:
Great case study! I agree that it can be compared to the HAN issue but only if one can establish that HAN "seeded" the internet with its image on free wallpaper sites. 

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi):

--- Quote from: Oscar Michelen on December 27, 2011, 08:53:58 PM ---Great case study! I agree that it can be compared to the HAN issue but only if one can establish that HAN "seeded" the internet with its image on free wallpaper sites.

--- End quote ---

That seems to be the biggest hurdle, I don't think HAN is actually seeding it, I lean more towards the photographer himself. Afterall none of the other photogs associated with HAN have their images on wallpaper sites..just an observation. I've looked into a dozen or so wallpaper site domains, most are registered in Romania and such, but I also note that some are hosted in the US with US companies, I suppose it would take some doing to get a look at log files to see whom was uploading what and when from where.

Jerry Witt (mcfilms):
But what is interesting is, for the first time, the stock agency AND the photographer have filed suit in this case. So I guess that means the photographer can be questioned directly about how his images came to be on these wallpaper sites, what relationship he has with these sites and what action, if any, he has taken to remove these images from the site.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version