Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Victory for College Students  (Read 3568 times)

Mulligan

• View Profile
Victory for College Students
« on: March 20, 2013, 05:13:46 PM »
Oscar's latest blog entry makes for very interesting reading at

http://www.courtroomstrategy.com/2013/03/supreme-court-upholds-first-sale-rights-of-foreign-bookseller/

I was happy to read about the decision in Oscar's blog post because the big textbook publishing houses for once got the short end of the stick... at least until their lobbyists (as Oscar points out) influence Congress to pass a law that'll once again protect their huge, unconscionable profits on educational textbooks.

Anyway, Oscar's observations about the Supreme Court decision are well worth reading. I especially enjoyed the little digs at Scalia and Thomas.

lucia

• View Profile
Re: Victory for College Students
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 04:08:23 PM »
I started my own thread before reading this. I read it here:

http://www.volokh.com/2013/03/21/the-supreme-courts-small-but-helpful-step-towards-copyright-sanity/

In discussing this, David Post writes:

though I suspect that 33 pages construing 5 words in the Copyright Act will only appeal to hardened copyright aficianodos or the hopelessly insane).

I'm toying with the idea of reading the 33 pages.

lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 04:10:57 PM »
By the way: Quoteable "Is the Court having once written dicta calling a tomato a vegetable bound to deny that it is a fruit forever after?"

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 12:43:26 PM »
Lucia - it shows the world of litigation and lawyering. 33 pages (and hundreds of thousands of dollars) over the meaning of the five words "lawfully created under the Act" with many focusing on the  word "under" 

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.