Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Youtube's Content ID  (Read 6717 times)

Libertas

• View Profile
Youtube's Content ID
« on: October 13, 2016, 05:47:32 PM »
I have a question that I have had a hard time getting an answer to and thought I would try here.

It's in the same realm, albeit with music and video.

Youtube has a system in place to manage copyrighted music and video. If you're not aware, the system identifies copyrighted works, and if it has a deal in place with the publisher/copyright holder, then it will respond by either blocking the video, muting it, or monetizing it with ads. It's up to the publisher to choose which option with most choosing to collect royalties off of advertising.

So here is my question, is the user still on the hook for copyright infringement under this system? For example, if I made a video that used a unlicensed song but was allowed to upload it to google because the publisher agreed to collect royalties. In this scenario, the youtube video would be the only place the video would be viewed from. I could understand that it wouldn't be a blanket authorization, but something seems awfully sketchy about the legal parameters.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: Youtube's Content ID
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 01:36:48 PM »
short answer is probably, as the infringement still exists..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

atlantalaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 12:55:20 PM »
You will not be able to profit from your video. If the artist and YouTube do not have an agreement, the video will not be viewable.  This is from my personal experience with the website.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 01:41:45 PM by Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi) »

clist

• On your side
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 07:38:21 PM »
I have a question that I have had a hard time getting an answer to and thought I would try here.

It's in the same realm, albeit with music and video.

Youtube has a system in place to manage copyrighted music and video. If you're not aware, the system identifies copyrighted works, and if it has a deal in place with the publisher/copyright holder, then it will respond by either blocking the video, muting it, or monetizing it with ads. It's up to the publisher to choose which option with most choosing to collect royalties off of advertising.

So here is my question, is the user still on the hook for copyright infringement under this system? For example, if I made a video that used a unlicensed song but was allowed to upload it to google because the publisher agreed to collect royalties. In this scenario, the youtube video would be the only place the video would be viewed from. I could understand that it wouldn't be a blanket authorization, but something seems awfully sketchy about the legal parameters.

Most artists nowadays choose the "place ads on your video" approach.

They see it as a win / win. The Artist makes money, you get to use music in the video.

Unlike these image extortion schemes, YouTube typically flags your video as soon as it goes up and give you options. (eg: remove it, dispute it, etc)

It becomes up to you what you want to do at that point.

Again: Unlike these image extortion schemes you get a chance - in most cases..

With that being said, do you remember the "dancing baby" lawsuit a while back?

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/09/14/440363919/dancing-baby-wins-copyright-case

Anything is possible...
Knowledge isn't free - you have to pay attention.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.