Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Another Small Victory in the Malibu Media Lawsuits  (Read 6580 times)

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
Another Small Victory in the Malibu Media Lawsuits
« on: July 25, 2012, 09:56:03 PM »
I was just reading an article over at the Die Troll Die website where Judge Martinez in Colorado has just ruled in two of Malibu Media's lawsuits that the court finds improper the joinder of all of the does in one filing. One case names does 1-5 and another case names does 1-54. In what seems to be a move designed to make it tougher for the trolls, Judge Martinez has ruled he must file a separate suit for each doe which will quickly add up to a nice chunk of change. So now if Malibu Media wishes to continue with their suit they must file a 57 suits instead of 2 at $350 a filing which means they must pay $19,950 to pursue this. I think Judge Martinez deserves and ELI pat on the back for striking back at the trolls and their frivolous lawsuits. Now Malibu Media must decide if the limited prospects for victory is worth the outlay of cash to file the suits. You can read the entire article as well as Judge Martinez's rulings in the link below.

http://dietrolldie.com/2012/07/25/judge-martinez-co-severs-does-in-colorado-malibu-media-cases-112-cv-01405-112-cv-01407/
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: Another Small Victory in the Malibu Media Lawsuits
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 06:57:55 AM »
we've been seeing more of this as of late, I agree with Matthew that it is not the intent of the trolls to follow thru on these suits, but to use them as leverage to obtain names and then settle quickly. Most certainly a huge blow to their scheme. It really boils down abuse of the system.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
Re: Another Small Victory in the Malibu Media Lawsuits
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 10:29:19 PM »
I agree and it certainly makes me happy to see more and more of this type of thing happening. I hope that the judges make it so hard for the trolls that they won't try this crap anymore and let the courts deal with legitimate cases of willful copyright infringement as it should be.

we've been seeing more of this as of late, I agree with Matthew that it is not the intent of the trolls to follow thru on these suits, but to use them as leverage to obtain names and then settle quickly. Most certainly a huge blow to their scheme. It really boils down abuse of the system.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.