Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Book Publisher Getting into the P2P/Bittorrent Lawsuit Business  (Read 4339 times)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
John Wiley & Sons, publishers of the popular "Dummies" book series, is getting into the P2P/Bittorrent lawsuit game with their lawsuit filed on October 27, 2011.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/92479421/John-Wiley-Publishing-P2P-Bittorrent-Lawsuit-Complaint

Interestingly, they are going after the trademark violation angle in addition to the normal copyright infringements.

We have another dying media business looking for ways to prop up their dinosaur/legacy business. Supporting their expensive NY offices and big salaries must be a huge burden nowadays.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 05:38:59 AM by Matthew Chan »
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
Re: Book Publisher Getting into the P2P/Bittorrent Lawsuit Business
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 08:38:15 PM »
Interesting post.
But, IP addresses aren't very reliable for identifying actual users, and the "courts" know this.
Anyone accused has plausible denial unless other evidence can be found, and that's quite difficult to get.
It'll be interesting to see what comes of this.

S.G.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.