Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: DMCA protection NOT automatic  (Read 5123 times)

Lettered

• View Profile
DMCA protection NOT automatic
« on: April 21, 2011, 12:00:12 PM »
... I hope everyone who runs/owns a website that allows users to post are aware of this:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/10/dmca-righthaven-loophole/

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: DMCA protection NOT automatic
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 01:53:17 PM »
I saw that. Next time I speak to Oscar, I have to run it by him and see what he thinks about that.

Matthew
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 08:50:44 AM »
Any thoughts on this.... I own a design and development company, but also offer web hosting to my clients, if these clients do choose to host with me, they have access to the servers, and the ability to upload, whatever they see fit, images, pages, post, ect...i'm wondering if register for the DCMA takedown if that would cover me from future issues, or would i need to register for every single domain I am hosting...any thought, opinions appreciated..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 09:01:44 PM »
Without doing any research on it, I believe one registration for your hosting company should protect you without having to pay for each and every one.  That being said, how many are involved? If there aren't too many and the cost can be rolled into the hosting fee maybe its better to be safe than sorry

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 09:27:13 AM »
I currently host over 300 domains, haven't run into any issues as of yet I'm just thinking ahead as it were.. most of the domains are registered by the client or registered on behalf of the client with my compant only listed as the tech contact. So I'm thinking that much like Getty handles things it would most likely be directed at the owner of the domain..Still going to look into this further as it's not that much of investment for a little extra peace of mind.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.