Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Judge again suggests Righthaven is practicing law without a license  (Read 3472 times)

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
Judge again suggests Righthaven is practicing law without a license

"A federal judge today suggested for a second time that Las Vegas copyright lawsuit filer Righthaven LLC has been involved in the unauthorized practice of law."

"The case at issue Wednesday is the Righthaven lawsuit against the Democratic Underground, which remains active despite Righthaven’s dismissal from the suit so the Democratic Underground can pursue its counterclaim against Stephens Media LLC, owner of the Review-Journal."

"Righthaven wants to intervene in the case to protect its interests. Democratic Underground attorneys, however, say Stephens Media has always been the true copyright holder and Righthaven’s lawsuit and its effort to re-enter the case are a sham"

"The court is dubious as to whether Righthaven can essentially create standing in the middle of a case so as to either prosecute the case independently or intervene. Further, the court questions whether Righthaven can even have a legitimate interest under any agreement (no matter the rights purportedly transferred) because Stephens Media and Righthaven’s arrangement seems very much like a contingency fee arrangement with an entity unauthorized to practice law," Hunt wrote in his order Wednesday."

http://www.vegasinc.com/news/2011/aug/24/judge-again-suggests-righthaven-practicing-law-wit/

S.G.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: Judge again suggests Righthaven is practicing law without a license
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 02:13:56 PM »
Judge to Righthaven: "are you an attorney?, are you allowed to practice law?"
Righthaven: no but I stayed at a holiday inn express last night"

If you dig a hole deep enough, the sides will cave in eventually!
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
Re: Judge again suggests Righthaven is practicing law without a license
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 04:10:32 PM »
That's a good one, buddhapi!!

I think that the Righthaven cases have weakened the concept that one cannot fight "exclusive agreements".

I could see a future litigant possibly using a defence against Getty or Masterfile as follows.
It wouldn't be too hard to show that these companies go after so many people for money that they probably survive only because of their demand letter programs.
Given that, I'd try to demonstrate that their "copyright assignments are really impermissible contingent-fee lawsuit representation contracts".
Some may say that this hasn't been tested in court, but I'd need only refer them to Righthaven via a Google search.

http://www.vegasinc.com/news/2011/aug/25/righthaven-says-foe-jeopardizing-its-due-process-r/

S.G.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.