Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Can we just 'bottom line' this ?  (Read 12805 times)

thehat

• View Profile
Re: Can we just 'bottom line' this ?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 09:22:23 AM »
I'm not a law person either, and probably am getting it wrong here, but I'll ask the question anyway, The Act ostensibly targets those who wish to gain unauthorised access to computer systems (for whatever reason)...as picscout and other bots/ spiders /scrapers /snoopers / fuskers are not invited in to our systems aren't they therefore "hackers"  and contravening the act??
Is there also not another part of law that says evidence gathered must be inline with legal search methods...i.e. a search warrant...and any evidence gathered to the contrary (without a warrant) is inadmissible...if it ever came to court??
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 10:01:51 AM by thehat »

DavidVGoliath

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 12:18:13 PM »
On evidence: search warrants are requirements under criminal law, and copyright matters are civil law.

Also, if the language of the Computer Misuse Act 1990 were to mean PicScout were illegal, then so too would the core technologies of many search engines - and I'm sure that we'd have heard all about that by now ;)

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 10:55:58 AM »
see my replay above, if it's not password protected, it's accessible, simple as that. in this day and age the "stealing bandwidth" is just not an issue. I think a better way to look at is like this..Using your garden house..
scenario a: the house is locked, but you break the window and grab something...obviosly this would be breaking/entering, burglary etc.. or hacking.

scenario b: the house is locked, the windows are are locked, but the curtains are open, you peek in , have a look and leave..no harm no foul.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.